Scales

j elky

Lumptastic - in your original post - what type wood is fourth row left? I am assuming fully stabilized?

thanks...Jeff

Lumptastic

Lumptastic - in your original post - what type wood is fourth row left? I am assuming fully stabilized?

thanks...Jeff
There all big leaf maple. Yes there all stabilized. I’m always using my phone so there just in a straight line for me but I’m assuming you are referring to one of the Spalted burl sets.

KenH

When you say "stabilized", do I remember you saying you do your own stabilizing with Cactus Juice? With the type of woods you're using CJ does work good giving 100% penetration. Do you stabilize a block, then cut into scales? OR, do you cut into scales then stabilize?

Those are some really good looking scales -

Lumptastic

I always do blocks and cut those into scales. I tried it the other way but the individual scales usually warped so I just started doing blocks. With dye it also helps to get even coloration

KenH

Good deal on stabilizing the block, then cutting into scales. That shows what I've always said about Cactus Juice, if done correctly it will have 100% penetration and give a very good result. As I said before, your scales look really good.

CDHumiston

Good deal on stabilizing the block, then cutting into scales. That shows what I've always said about Cactus Juice, if done correctly it will have 100% penetration and give a very good result. As I said before, your scales look really good.

I've purchased multiple sets, at least 5 or 6 and they are really nice.

Here's a set on a knife I recently made for my wife.