Scale removal- Vinegar soak question...

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
I'm trying vinegar to ease the pain of removing scale on some blanks. What I've read says to leave it overnight after heat treating. Is there a minimum time for decent results? I just put em in this morning and was hoping it wouldn't take all day. Guess I'm being impatient.

I have done the vinegar thing on some tomahawks after HT. At least 24 hours and I have left them a little longer too. The upside is it works very well espically for tight corners or inside a handle eye.

In my experience, sodium bisulfate works better and faster than vinegar. It can be picked up from a pool supply and is usually marketed and "ph down" or ph minus. As it is intended to lower the ph in pools and such. Usually sold in a powder form. Put some in some water and good to go. Lasts a long time.

I tried the vinegar thing one or two times and it just didn't do it for me.

Just in case it doesn't work well for you. All my knives (forged) get a soak in the ph decrease before going to the grinder.

In my experience, sodium bisulfate works better and faster than vinegar. It can be picked up from a pool supply and is usually marketed and "ph down" or ph minus. As it is intended to lower the ph in pools and such. Usually sold in a powder form. Put some in some water and good to go. Lasts a long time.

I tried the vinegar thing one or two times and it just didn't do it for me.

Just in case it doesn't work well for you. All my knives (forged) get a soak in the ph decrease before going to the grinder.

Thanks for the info. I had vinegar on hand, so tried that first. Next time I 'll try to get some sodium bisulfate to see how they compare.

Back