Saving sanding belts?

Mark Barone

Just wondering if anybody has a method of saving used /marking them.. sanding belts for specific purpose. For example I may use a New ceramic 80 grit to get some nice clean straight bevels. But then when its “used” I will save it for Rough profiling. I hate using new belts for rough profiling. Keep in mind I have a 2x 42. So I am not sure if it matters. I’m thinking not.

Just wondering if anybody has a method of saving used /marking them..
No real 'method', but I basically do the same, used belt for profiling, new belts for bevels, used belts for handles. Once they get to the handle stage, they last a while, so when a belt is no longer good for bevels, I then compare it to the used ones, and replace the most worn belt. I end up throwing a lot of belts away after they do the bevels.
As far as storing, I've got an old T-shaped stand that I put the in-use metal belts on one side and the wood belts on the other. One belt in each useable grit on each side. This helps me from accumulating a whole stack of used belts.

No real 'method', but I basically do the same, used belt for profiling, new belts for bevels, used belts for handles. Once they get to the handle stage, they last a while, so when a belt is no longer good for bevels, I then compare it to the used ones, and replace the most worn belt. I end up throwing a lot of belts away after they do the bevels.
As far as storing, I've got an old T-shaped stand that I put the in-use metal belts on one side and the wood belts on the other. One belt in each useable grit on each side. This helps me from accumulating a whole stack of used belts.
i like that idea.

I have a separate resting place for my used belts. Mainly because my son is allowed to use any belt that is on the used belt rack but under penalty of death, he cannot choose from my new belt hooks. The occasional “friend” who asks to use my grinder falls under the same rule. Works pretty well.

I have a separate resting place for my used belts. Mainly because my son is allowed to use any belt that is on the used belt rack but under penalty of death, he cannot choose from my new belt hooks. The occasional “friend” who asks to use my grinder falls under the same rule. Works pretty well.
Hahaha so funny.

Those who grind with my belts get to use the not fresh belts also. If they get a really good set of bevels going I break them out a new belt/belts to finish with.

Back