Saved from the Scrap heap

Gliden07

This is one of knives that was in a Drawer and forgotten. Was out of interesting projects so I opened the Drawer of Doom to challenge myself. Still need to cut a slot in the tang and put a threaded rod in to make a thru tang knife. How should I do that, weld, pien combination? Never done it? Long way to go but I'm liking the progress.IMG_20200324_124216_512.jpg

Excuse the crappy pictures. But something like this.

3-C788-ECC-12-C7-4-AE2-9686-88-F24-E1-E9-CDC.jpg

F96-BE667-0-A8-A-4481-A5-B6-5-F5-EA6612-D79.jpg

CBB1-CA54-7025-4310-BA3-E-A628-B5516027.jpg

Pic is chopped off. It pretty much ends where the picture ends it's about an inch short.

You posted just before my last post. If it helps, I think you can find a threaded tube and then use the male end for your pommel. Thread the tang, use the tube, and use the male end connector. Just an idea. I have never used an all thread so I cannot help you there.

You posted just before my last post. If it helps, I think you can find a threaded tube and then use the male end for your pommel. Thread the tang, use the tube, and use the male end connector. Just an idea. I have never used an all thread so I cannot help you there.
That may work?? I have to decide before I move on though for sure??

I haven't done this myself, so take with a grain of salt. I have seen where a notch is cut into the existing tang just wide enough that a piece of all thread can be tapped down into the notch for a very tight fit. Then I think you could either braze it or weld the all thread at that juncture.. Going from memory here, so not 100% sure how that last operation was done. Hope that helps some.

I have seen people drill a hole, cut a slot and insert a small bolt into the tang. The result is the same as all-thread but the bolt head rests on the shoulders of the hole in the tang so I always thought it a stronger connection. I have never done a through tang of any kind. You could just peen the tang end. Counter-sink a hole in your pommel then peen the tang. Once you are done carefully grind the peened part level with the pommel. There should be enough peen in the counter sunk hole to hold together. I have never done a knife this way but it is my favorite joinery method for ornamental ironwork.

Gene's got the right idea, just what I was thinking about mentioning. I've done that a couple of times and it works really good. I didn't use a corby nut, but don't see why that wouldn't work just fine. Here's another idea I've used, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KDTDXN1/? I think Ed uses this method sometimes. Clip the clevis end over the tang, and use an all thread screw in from the pummel. I put a blind screw hole in pummel so the screw doesn't show from pummel.

Here's a picture of what Chris was describing. I have done this a couple of times and it has worked well. If I remember right, a 6-32 thread fits a 1/4" corby bolt.

Yes that's what I was thinking! And I was gonna pien the head of the screw to fill the hole I drilled in the tang. Do you just leave it like that or put a couple tack welds on it??

Yes that's what I was thinking! And I was gonna pien the head of the screw to fill the hole I drilled in the tang. Do you just leave it like that or put a couple tack welds on it??

I've done it both ways, tacked and not. I have seen or heard some discussion on welding on high carbon steel that it is bad, unless you heat the weld afterwards.

Back