Sanding Thumb

I've never had my thumb that bad Fred. However I don't use the touch ID on my phone for the same reason as opaul. My fingerprints get pretty thin.

I think I will ware rubber gloves from now on , I have always had a problem with my thumds cracking open.

Last edited:
I have psoriasis on my hands and if I sand without rubber gloves there will be blood...every time. If I wear gloves it actually helps my hands. They get so bad at times I sleep in rubber gloves.

Yes it can get bad. I went to renew my drivers license and they scan your forefinger print for recognition. They gave up after third try.
Problem I have is file thumb. I do a jimping on the back of the blade and file a 5/32 half circle on either side of jimping. I use my thumb to guide the file and it gets cut on the end.

Kind of laughing here sorry, yeah I also suffer the same fate.

Not too the muscle mind you... But it does make a mess of my thumbs.
I use A TON of "okeefs working hands" moisturizer. Kind of apply it all day every day.

I considered picking up or making some of those thin leather thumb and finger sleeves...
Also a pro guitar player once told me for competitions they use a skin hardener. Its designed for people who work with horses, to help prevent rope burns. He says it kind of creates a thick instant callous on the fingers. Just a thought.

I hand finish most all of my knives and metal sheaths by hand, I use tool and dye maker stones up to 800 grit then go to sand paper use mobile 1 thinned with odorless thinner as a lubricant can't use water it makes my thumbs split,I don't use my finger on the sand paper, what you see in the picture is what I use to finish my knives with, it ma y not work for every one but it dose for me, the sheath in the picture is finished to 7000 grit.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 27
I hand finish most all of my knives and metal sheaths by hand, I use tool and dye maker stones up to 800 grit then go to sand paper use mobile 1 thinned with odorless thinner as a lubricant can't use water it makes my thumbs split,I don't use my finger on the sand paper, what you see in the picture is what I use to finish my knives with, it ma y not work for every one but it dose for me, the sheath in the picture is finished to 7000 grit.
Beautiful work!

Thanks Paul, I will post a picture of the knife that goes in it when I get it done and if I can get the picture the right size. Deane

Back