Rust/corrosion & magnatism

stefand

How does magnetism effect the rust or corrosion resistance of a carbon steel blade.
Someone told me that if I magnetise my blades they will be less likely to rust.

Any comments?

I am NOT a scientist. Some of you who may be....please verify or correct me here. Iron oxide is NOT magnetic. Steel, of course, is magnetic at room temp. So if you have a layer of iron oxide on steel, depending on how thick the oxide layer is, the magnet may not stick. But in application.......

Take a carbon steel knife and let it lay outside for a month to collect rust. My guess is the magnet will still stick to the blade. Because the oxide layer is very thin relatively, and there is plenty of mass of steel underneath to attract the magnet.

I realize now that is kinda opposite of what you are asking. Magnetising a blade will not cause it to resist corrosion.

Last edited:
I work with steel natural gas pipelines and there epoxy coated with rectifiers supplying millivolts of DC current and anodes connected in areas where the rectifier voltage drops, protecting the pipe from corrosion. I've never heard of using magnetism to prevent corrosion.
I don't think it's a good idea for knives, you'd have crap sticking to them all the time, it's bad for people with pace makers, and bomb squads say they'll set off bombs, so don't go poking at any bombs with your magnetized knife.......

"and bomb squads say they'll set off bombs, so don't go poking at any bombs with your magnetized knife......." I just heard a click. Uh oh...........Kaaaa boooooooom!

Back