Router recommendations

Sean Jones

I'm currently making a Saya for a kitchen knife but I don't have a router so I'm making do with a drill press and chisels. Any recommendations on a router for Saya's and other minor woodwork? I've looked at the router attachment for the Dremel and while inexpensive I'm thinking it's under powered.

I use the laminate trimmer sized router with variable speed. Uses 1/4” shafted bits. I added a larger base plate out of some clear Lexan I had because I did not like the round base that it came with. (Too easy to rock.) The current brand I have is made by Rigid and I have put it through hell and back. Actually doing more with it than I should... but it is still going strong.
I recommend getting a mortising bit for the major stock removal.

I use the laminate trimmer sized router with variable speed. Uses 1/4” shafted bits. I added a larger base plate out of some clear Lexan I had because I did not like the round base that it came with. (Too easy to rock.) The current brand I have is made by Rigid and I have put it through hell and back. Actually doing more with it than I should... but it is still going strong.
I recommend getting a mortising bit for the major stock removal.
Okay...I'm glad I asked. I've seen some good deals on the laminate trimmer routers but didn't think they would be the right kind for this. And I wasn't sure which bit to use either...Thanks for the info

I'm currently making a Saya for a kitchen knife but I don't have a router so I'm making do with a drill press and chisels. Any recommendations on a router for Saya's and other minor woodwork? I've looked at the router attachment for the Dremel and while inexpensive I'm thinking it's under powered.
You can easily make a saya in three pieces ...
Back , welt , then front. Use wood glue to mate the pieces together and , boom, ya gotta saya.
No muss ,no fuss. Use 1/16" thick x 3" wide basswood. You can get it at hobby shops or even Ace hardware .

You can easily make a saya in three pieces ...
Back , welt , then front. Use wood glue to mate the pieces together and , boom, ya gotta saya.
No muss ,no fuss. Use 1/16" thick x 3" wide basswood. You can get it at hobby shops or even Ace hardware .
Thanks for the tip Bruce. I'll keep your idea in mind. I have some Argentine Osage Orange that I'm currently working with and it's 1/2 inch...so some routing or splitting is necessary. Thin Basswood sounds like a winner.

Thanks for the tip Bruce. I'll keep your idea in mind. I have some Argentine Osage Orange that I'm currently working with and it's 1/2 inch...so some routing or splitting is necessary. Thin Basswood sounds like a winner.
That's what I used on Greg Rice's kith. Turned out pretty well.

I have used a porter cable & bosch for a long time. I have both the smaller router and the larger ones. They are work horses and have had zero problems with them. I guess you will encounter the same opinions as with a Ford vs Chevy. I also have Jet, Powermatic, ridgid & other brands of woodworking tools and they all seem to work fine and I've been using them also for a very long time. Good luck................

Back