Reference Books

leatherman

Sheath Forum Moderator
What books does everyone use for inspiration and learning new techniques?

Where'd you find them? I've found them everywhere, including a couple of nice finds at Estate sales.

I'll be going through my bookshelf when I get to the shop. :)

I've primarily just got a collection of Tandy booklets - the Lucky 7, leather case projects vols I and II, stitching leather, coloring leather, etc. I have some non-Tandy books I picked up at Tandy including a dragon design book (for carving ideas) and a couple books on celtic patterns, design, and history.

I also have the Encylopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding. Not leather related but for tying I have the knot bible - Ashley's Book of Knots.

I have a couple others but I'm too sleepy yet to get up and go look at their titles.

I've got that rawhide and leather braiding book as well! Great reference!

Heres a few standouts off my shelf:

"How To Make Knives" Richard Barney and Robert Loveless. A really good reference on how they both make knives and sheaths. This one is really special as my father gave it to me a few months before he passed away, kind of validated his view of my career choice.

"Custom Knifemaking" Tim McCreight. Nifty beginners knife and sheath reference

"Blue Steel and Gun Leather" Bianchi. I got this one at an estate sale, its signed!

"Sheridan Style Carving" Bob Likewise. Best book I have on carving in the Sheridan style. Got it at the same estate sale.

"The Art of Making Leather Cases" Al Stohlman. From the master.

"Knifemaking" Bo Bergman. Fantastic reference on Scandi style knives and sheaths, none better that I've found.

More to come!

I like to check used book stores and thrift shops.
Here are some of the books I have...
"Leathercraft" Sid Latham
"Leathercraft Creative Technique and Design" Larry Hemard
"The Leatherworking Handbook" Valerie Michael
"The Art of Working with Leather" Steven Edwards
"Home Tanning & Leathercraft Simplified" Kathy Kellogg
"Gorgeous Leather Crafts" Kari Lee
None are specifically on sheaths, more leathercraft in general.

Chuck

Back