Reamer size

Gliden07

I need to get a reamer for 1/8" pins. How much should I oversize reamer for tight but not to tight fit? +.003"?

Is this just for full tang scales/regular scale pins?

If so, you don't really need to spend extra on a reamer. A number 30 drill bit works great for 1/8".

I have plenty of reamers in that size but I never use them for scale pins.

Great that will work for me. Sick of rocking scales and tangs back and forth to oversize the holes! Thank you Sir!!

Here is a picture from a video I saw (maybe from somebody here) that shows what bits to use for a slightly larger hole for each common size. Hopefully helpful. Sorry for the bad quality.

Drill bits.jpg

Yeah I just found those bits I got them for handles.Seems like every time I clean my shop I lose something.

You normally would not use a reamer on a tang hole. Just use the next size drill. Keep in mind g10 or micarta will shrink back a few thou when drilled and metal does not. What I mean is usually a 1/8” drill will make the hole oversized enough (in metal) to allow a 1/8” pin (Corby, etc) to fit but that same 1/8” drill will make a slightly undersized hole in g10 or micarta and some wood. Micarta will “shrink” back after drilling.

Your pin should move fairly freely in scale material. If you have to pound your pin into the scales during glue up, the holes are way too small and the handle material will eventually crack.

Back