Question on pivot placement....

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dawgs!!!
I'm just about ready to get back to work on my first folder, I've designed it to be a flipper with a SWEET Wharncliff blade, I was looking at it last night and couldn't figure where to put the pivot hole, is there a way to figure the pivot placement that will make it simplier to figure on every folder I design? Another question concerning folders, this being a flipper, a blade stop pin is'nt going to work, do I simply eliminate it, or is there some another way to insure the blade doesn't over rotate when it's closed? I designed this to be an open frame design, with spacers. It is a linerlock, with Boss's roller bearings for ease of opening, any and all help is greatly appreciated, Thanks, Rex

IN the Lake, Centofante book, Lake recommends measuring the height of the knife in the area of the pivot, then measure .45 of that distance from the front and .45 of the distance from the bottom. In other words if your knife measures 1 inch from bottom to top near the front of the kif then your pivot pin will be located .45 of an inch from the front and .45 of an inch from the bottom. Thats what I use on all my folders.
Steve
I hope that makes sense.

IN the Lake, Centofante book, Lake recommends measuring the height of the knife in the area of the pivot, then measure .45 of that distance from the front and .45 of the distance from the bottom. In other words if your knife measures 1 inch from bottom to top near the front of the kif then your pivot pin will be located .45 of an inch from the front and .45 of an inch from the bottom. Thats what I use on all my folders.
Steve
I hope that makes sense.

Steve,
I don't understand the "height of the knife", is that refering to the length, maybe? Or could it be refering to the width of the tang area? Right now, (at work) I can only image it in my head, I'll get back to you tonight, THANK YOU For helping, Rex

Steve,
I don't understand the "height of the knife", is that refering to the length, maybe? Or could it be refering to the width of the tang area? Right now, (at work) I can only image it in my head, I'll get back to you tonight, THANK YOU For helping, Rex

Steve,
I've been thinking this over, and I think I understand, the top is the front of the blade or the edge side the back would be the spine side, if I've got that right (if), it makles sense to me from here. From here being, I'm still at work and can't get to it nor my design book. I usually keep it with me ( I know what obsessed means, I love it...err I mean live it, daily!), I tried to re-draw it from memory, and I think I have it pretty close to what I have started, I have the liners cut out, drilled and several of the holes tapped, I did read and had the wife print out the tutorial that Terry (Knipper) Knipshield (I know I screwed the spelling there, I do appologize), his was/is the best tutorial on a linerlock I have ever seen, although I haven't seen them all, his is the one that gave me the confidence get started. I do hope I am understanding this correctly, if so and these measurments can be used on all of the folders I design, that will make my work all the more easier....NOT easy! For me, I get so nervous or tense, what ever you want to call it during certain tasks on any build, usually it has to do with drilling handles for full tangs and now it was pivot placement for folders, I guess my OCD will have to find another target! Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll be ready to get back to it this weekend, and if we do get the snow/Ice storm this weekend, I may get a couple more days off to work on it! Gotta love winter in Alabama!! Again, thanks for the help, I do appreciate it, Rex
BTW, Please do keep any and all tutorials, tips, advice anything you guys think might be of any kind of help, also any books you guys think is a must have for making folders, I'm a sponge and will take any advice you guys have to offer, Thanks so much!

Ed caffrey has a great WIP down in his forum on a flipper he did to help with your stop pin issue. He uses a floating pin with the reliefs cut out in the liners. I also saw where Kit Carson said that he uses the thumb stud as his stop pin.

Ed caffrey has a great WIP down in his forum on a flipper he did to help with your stop pin issue. He uses a floating pin with the reliefs cut out in the liners. I also saw where Kit Carson said that he uses the thumb stud as his stop pin.

Jaysmith10,
Thanks for the tip, as usual Ed is freakin`AWESOME!!! That's a great WIP, with some great tips especially with me building a Flipper w/about the same type of blade! I appreciate it, THANKS again, Rex

Back