Question about a sheath

calharkins

I have a question. I borrowed a picture from Ben Tendick. I hope he doesn't mind. What is the metal sticking out of the front of this sheath and what is it's function? It looks like a Sam Brown button but I can't see it's purpose. I appreciate your educating my ignorance.

sheath.jpg

I suspect the retention strap was folded behind the sheath for the picture, but I'm ante-ing into this thread to see what else it might be!

It's a belt stud. Really simple - you slide the sheath behind the belt and it either rides down to the stud, and stops, or the belt has a manner of a pierced hole-slot for it. Some have fancier slides that themselves ride the belt and the stud fits them.

Frank so looking at the Natchez on your last link, it has a belt loop with a ring the sheath slides into, and that button might be the slide stop. Interesting.

Thanks for the help Frank! The Desperado Knife and Sheath on the website you linked to really shows how it would work. Rob I am with you on the Natchez!! Really awesome. Now I got another question. With a large knife the belt stud will place the handle way up on your side possibly getting in your way and being hard to unsheath. Does that seem odd to anyone else? Reason I am asking is that I recently made a knife with 5 1/2 inch blade and about 5 inch elk taper handle. We have some big kitties and mean hogs on our deer lease and I want something to get them away from me.

Cal,
If you have the sheath at a angle for a cross draw that will take away some of the height that you seem concerned about.
I also like having the knife a little higher than banging on your leg or getting caught in brush and making noise.

I am sure others have retention systems etc to avoid these problems, my vote is for going with simple and less when possible.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Cal,

I carry a large bowie which has a 10 inch blade and close to 6 inch handle in a kydex version of that sheath (concealed). It is a great way to carry larger blades and the only way I personally like to carry them. The stud allows endless angles of positioning as well as easy removal at any time. While the handle can take a bit of getting used to, if the sheath is properly designed it won't take long and you'll barely know it is there. Even when sitting (keep in mind this is with the sheath inside my shirt and pants), the stud allows me to sit and the sheath will ride up slightly to allow you to sit, while still being inside the belt. When standing I can push it back down in to place with my forearm rather discreetly so no one is the wiser.

In order to draw it I was taught a cav draw. It is a technique I've read was for pistols being drawn on horseback (thus cav is short for cavalry). It is done because of the limitations on shoulder articulation for drawing longer blades. You don't draw a bowie in a reverse grip, it loses any and all of its advantages as a fighting blade in that manner. If you try to draw the blade in saber grip (assuming from the same side of the body as the arm you are drawing with) with the thumb forward....longer blades will not clear the sheath before your shoulder can not come up any further. You'll essentially 'chicken wing' and be stuck.

Cav draw is when you rotate the thumb in towards the body and grasp the handle with the thumb backwards (back of the hand towards your body). As you pull up the blade your arm naturally pulls the blade up and forward while also wanting to rotate your wrist back to a neutral position, which also pulls the knife around to the forward position and in to proper position.

In re-reading this, it sounds more complicated than it really is. If this is unclear, let me know and I will see about making a quick video of it.

I think I understand your draw method from my cap & ball pistol shooting, The sword which was the primary weapon would be drawen across from the left side by the right hand. The pistol could then be drawn by the left hand across from the right side, the butt of the pistol was forward on the right. You are saying to draw the bowie like you would the pistol with the right from the right. Could you make a video so we can all see you in action.?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The stud on the pic is either referred to as a Sam Brown Button. Here is a pic of two sheaths by none other than Paul Long, a master at his craft!

100_2267.jpg

The one on the left is used with a frog, that is the part that has the belt loop on it and the whole sheath slides down into it and the stud acts as a locking device for the sheath. That way if sitting and the sheath is too long you for you to sit comfortably you just trip the front of the frog off of the stud and remove the whole sheath, leaving the frog with the belt loop attached to your belt, and the sheath in hand. When you arise from the sitting position, you slide the sheath back into the frog and secure over the stud. This use dates back quite some time! I think I have all my terminology and methodology correct in that explanation but, I am sure if not someone, probably Paul, since I used his pic :biggrin: will correct me!

The other application pictured is a retainer strap using the same type of stud!

I hope that helps to explain it much better than I could have with just words, see a picture is really worth a thousand words!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys. You have helped my ignorance. Now, I guess I played cowboys too much as a kid. I like my knives and guns down low. So that's how I rigged the sheath. Pictures coming tomorrow. Thanks again guys.

As Frank said. I used it as a stop to put my sheath in my belt hanger so I could take the sheath off the belt and put on the shelf without taking your belt loose. KT

Attachments

• mnj.jpg
    mnj.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 14
The fine work you referred to is none other than Paul Longs! I want that completely clear that is not my work!

I only borrowed the picture that Paul had posted on line, to ask Paul some questions about the Sam Brown Stud! In a conversation I had online with him as to its use and how a frog worked. The explanation is my way of trying to make sense of the explanation Paul gave me a while back! Actually the way he explained was a lot simpler than how I stumbled thru it.

If I had thought of it earlier I may still have it referenced somewhere in my bookmarks! I use my bookmarks like a set of encyclopedias, with files to reference all the knowledge I have picked up from others in this business.

Now I know that is something some of you have never heard of encyclopedias :what!: but, back in ancient times when I was a kid and before the advent of the PC, that is where they kept the knowledge! :biggrin: Anyway that reminds me I need to do a recent backup of all of that!! My son in law has helped me transfer those files I have been collecting for years through three computers now that have eventually been rebuilt or updated. To lose all that would really make me cry!:sad:

KT sweeeeet rig another master in his craft, KT or as many know him the Kid!

Last edited:
You got it Cliff. I am surprised at the number of folks that did not know what it was. They are available from Tandy and other leather supplies for maybe a dollar. These and other versions of them were the main closures for military leather accessories for a few hundred years.

Back