Pro's & Con's of this kiln -Please help

SpeedyGonzales

Greetings Knif' Dogs,

I'm looking for input on this kiln and inquired directly from Evenheat and they said it's perfectly suitable to do heat treating. (up to 2200° f)

http://www.kilnfrog.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/794

The chamber dimensions are 10" wide x 9" deep (6.5" tall).

I would rarely make a blade over 9 or 10" long... but if I 'needed' to, I could place the blade diagonally [The diagonal of this kiln about 13.5"].

A friend pointed out that I wouldn't want to place a blade too close to the heating element. Does anyone have any input on the maximum size blade I could treat in this thing?

...also if you have anything else to add (Good or Bad) please do! I'm on a budget here and this is substantially cheaper than the next step up.

Thanks very much everyone,
Andy G.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 8
Have you looked at the KnifeDogs Paragon Oven?

http://usaknifemaker.com/heat-treat...gs-tm-heat-treating-oven-by-paragon-4960.html

IMO, the more length you can get from the inside of the door to the back of the oven, the better. You want to consider how easily you can put blades in and take them out. If you have to put them in sideways, or diagonally, it gets to be slighly more of a challenge.

With the oven linked above, you could probably even upgrade to a decent PID controller after you saved a little more money. I imagine it would retrofit fairly easily, but that's just me.
Looks like Tracy offers a digital model already for another $150, though you could probably get a programmable PID to drop in the other one for a little less. It would obviously take a little bit of retro-fitting/fabricating and wiring up, but I don't see why it wouldn't be doable.

Thanks for your suggestions.

To run that oven, I would need to put a 240v line in my shop. With that, the oven, and price of controller, It would be almost, if not over a thousand delivered. I just can't swing that at this time and wanted to get something while I could afford it at all.

I'll consider it though.

Back