propane tank size

jmforge

I was previously running a 100 pound tank, but I had a welding suply store a block away so they would come get it an fill for me. I am moving and will be building a new shop, but I dont know how I wodl hook up a perment say 250 pound tank to my forge. 20 gaallon tanks freeze up when you are forgin a long time. My firs trip to the ABS hammer in Old Washington back in 2005, they were using 40 pound tanks for the into class. Is a 40 big enough to avoid the freezing issue when running the forge for a long time like when forge welding?

40 lb tanks are heavier than I wish to haul around in my old aged. I use 100 lb tanks - I've got one of those HF shop cranes to lift the tank in pickup, and a handcart to move around when I get home. I find more uses for that shop crane than I ever imagined.

Can the 250 lb (50 gallon?) tank be set close to the forge and still accessible by truck for refill? OR, perhaps piped in? I've got a 50 gallon tank for the house that the truck comes out to fill.

I would like to have at least a 500 # tank.......in canada they won't deliver you a tank or propane without inspecting your appliance first.....they must be csa approved.....so homemade gas forges will not qualify.......I use 2 tanks 100# hooked up in series and they will still freeze up when getting low on gas.....i have recently been wrapping the tanks in an electric blanket to prevent freezing.....I have also seen on a youtube channel a guy had his tanks sitting in a large tub of water.......100# tanks of propane weigh 170 # full so i usually have somebody help me loading and unloading them

I use a 40 pound for my two burner forge and it will run at welding heat until its empty without freezing. It will sweat but does not lose pressure to freezing.

Chris has the answer then - 40 lb tank should work just fine. Perhaps even manifold two tanks together if needed?

I've ran my 100 lb tanks empty without any freezing up - might sweat some, but forge still burns at welding heat just fine until the tank is close to empty. I've got an empty tank now that I need to weight to see just how "empty" it really is. I know there's a tad, but don't think it's much at all.

I got around 3-4 hours of of my 40# before it started to sputter a bit, but it was also warm outside as well. Not sure how long it will go for during the winter time when it is colder in Connecticut! I want to get a 2nd and manifold them together. The water bucket trick would also help, too.

I run my forge off my 250 gallon tank that runs my furnace. It has a regulator on the tank and another one where it enters the shop. The propane company told me to tee into the line before the second regulator and I would get 9 psi. I haven't had any trouble with it in 2 years of running.

Get a big ol 500 gallon (or is it pounds?) tank, like you use to heat your house. They delivered one and set it up for $200. Never have to carry anything around then!

Back