Press or Hammer?

Gliden07

I've been giving some thought to getting a Hyd press or some sort of power hammer? If you could only have one which would you pick and why?? I have an old log splitter, dont even know if it works (no motor) and was thinking of maybe building a press? I would need an electric motor and some steel. If all the rest of the components are ok it should be cheap? Any pitfalls building your own? Any good plans out there? If I do build it will be over the Winter months as my time allows. Thoughts??

Well, I built a hammer first, but now I need (read want) a press. This question was asked a couple times on other forums and the answers were varied (by experienced makers). I considered the log splitter route, but after looking at half a dozen different models, and comparing them to presses I've seen others build I'd say the log splitter is not ideal. It CAN be done, but with much modifying because the stresses for splitting wood blocks and smushing metal are very different. If you are really good at engineering, or re-engineering pieces of equipment to something else there might be some savings in it. Also, your cost will be dependent on scrounging usable parts and scrap metal (something I am not good at). Not much help, but just passing on what I'd read others say on the same subject. I always admire watching someone take something and re-purpose it, or make something from scrap. I envy that ability. Good luck with your project.

I'm asked this question all the time. IF it's only one or the other, and no outside considerations (such as disturbing neighbors, or keeping what you do somewhat private), I'd recommend a power hammer. The learning curve for a power hammer is fairly short. If a hammer banging would start a war with neighbors, then likely a press, although the learning curve is much steeper (and more dangerous) then a hammer.

The reason I say that is...... until an individual gains experience with a press, they tend to wreck a lot of steel, and in many cases "break" the press. Things such as trying to use too much force, not centering the work under the center of force, etc. Most go into owning a press with the idea in their mind that because there is so much force available, they need to use it all. Using a press to it's full advantage isn't about brute force, it's about finesse. Even though I have a press that produces 80 tons of force, that amount of force is there for when I forge BIG billets/cans....... I rarely take a "bite" (compression) of anything more them about 1/4" at a time, and usually less. At the current stage in my career, I personally could not be without either one. I consider the press to be my "precision", and the air hammer to be my "speed". Each has it's own merits, and each does things that the other can't.....at least not nearly as well/smoothly.

I'm not a fan of converting a log splitter, simply because the entire thing was not designed or engineered to withstand the repetitions of force, and the heating/cooling cycles a forging press encounters. ALL the parts on a press need to well maintained! You can often get away with worn parts on a hammer, and not have to be overly concerned about it in comparison to a press. If you let parts of a press get worn, and don't repair them, very bad things can happen. When I read your post about the log splitter being old, the red lights went off in my head. There's just so much more, and so much varied stresses with using a forging press, it's impossible to convey the amount/levels of stress a forging press must endure. That's the reason whenever someone asks me about building a press, I always tell them to design it as heavy duty as they can....then double it.

Not sure whether you're thinking build or buy a hammer, but with the prices of steel these days, check carefully between building and buying. Not long ago a friend was going to build himself an air hammer...... and by the time he figured it all up, he was money ahead driving from Montana to Texas, and picking up an Anyang 33lb hammer.... with his 1/2 ton pickup. Although the price has jumped significantly, thanks to Forged in Fire, there are still 25 and 50lb Little Giant hammers out there for sale..... you'd just have to be willing to go through the logistics of getting it from where you find/buy it, to where you use it.

My buddy has a 25LB Little giant. It's a blast to run and we have made all kinds of stuff including some small Demascus billets. I looked at a LG25 that was close to me for $2500 but the Dovetail on the bottom had been rounded and it cracked. Someone had done a repair to it but with very little experience with this type of machine I was not willing to gamble on it. I like the Anyangs and saw a 110lb one run at a Hammer In I went to, man that thing hit hard.

o_O:p I just did some looking, Maybe I didn't need to buy a new truck this year, the things that could be in the shop!

There is a guy by the name of Caleb Walberg that had built himself a press from a log splitter. Go and check out his instagram page and you will see the build WIP. I suspect if you contact him, he will be most willing to give you advise on the process.
https://www.instagram.com/walberg_forged/?hl=en
And then Jason Fry, which is on this forum, has built himself a hammer which I think is quite neat. You can see that on his instagram account as well.
...and he makes great knifes too.

I have a 25lb LG. You get to use your friends 25lb'er. Your lucky!! If I had it all to do over again I would look for a 50lb'er. That's just me.

Back