pre bowie sheath completed

R Appleby

KNIFE MAKER
Finally finished this yesterday. It came out with the aged and slightly used appearance that I was hoping for

8/9oz leather sheath with antiqued brass tip and throat with a brass ball frog button.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

prebowie1-600x455.jpg

prebowie2-600x346.jpg

prebowie3-600x340.jpg

Bob - That looks great!

If you don't mind I have a few questions.

How did you construct your tip piece? Did you solder two halves together?
What thickness is your brass sheet?

Thanks.

Bob - That looks great!

If you don't mind I have a few questions.

How did you construct your tip piece? Did you solder two halves together?
What thickness is your brass sheet?

Thanks.

Thanks All,

Dacks, I used brass sheet that was .025 thick in two half's and annealed them. I made a positive and negative die from 1/4 inch thick steel stock and rounded the edges on the positive die and only slightly rounded the edges on the negative. I trimmed the brass within a 1/2 inch of the positive die. I then placed the brass sheet over the negative die, placed the positive over the sheet and hammered the positive die until it bottoms out on the table. I will still take a little tweaking and trimming to get the halves to mate correctly but die stamping is the only way I have found to get a rounded point on the tip. Then both halfes are soldered together. I used a 100 watt soldering iron instead of a torch

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice.

Are you concerned with a silver solder line being visible against the brass?
I'm about to give this a shot, although my piece will be quite a bit smaller than yours.

Like I said earlier Appleby,,,the best "Period" style knife---and now, sheath as well that I've seen in a long time. "E' qua, di' ga, lv wi', s da, ne' di" (Great Work)

Thank you for the advice.

Are you concerned with a silver solder line being visible against the brass?
I'm about to give this a shot, although my piece will be quite a bit smaller than yours.

You are going to flat sand or grind the edges on each half. If the half's meet close enough the solder line will only be a hair line. If you use nickel it will be less noticeable. If you are going to apply an antiquing finish the solder will darken too.

Thanks all for the kind comments

Last edited:
Back