Polishing bone.

Is it bone..... or horn?? Honestly, both are horrible to work with and finish. Bone, if white and/or light colored, will grab every bit of sanding swarf and/or buffing compound (if buffing), and is next to impossible to get out. It's best to sand with a light/white colored paper, and only a few passes then a new section/piece. I'd go to 2K grit, and then finish it with clear paste wax.

Horn....is nothing more than compressed hair. So anything that can happen when you wife or girlfriend is having a "bad hair day" can happen to horn handle material..... split ends, warping, some spot dull, some shiny, etc. You have to work it slowly, NO HEAT or it WILL do something you'll likely cuss about. Light on the pressure, and to at least 1200-1500 grit BEFORE you even think of buffing.....then VERY LIGHTLY and deliberately..... not enough to build up heat, so it takes time....if it even warn to the touch, it's too hot! Let it cool NATURALLY. If you dunk it in water as will be your instinct, you'll be cussing again. :) It takes a lot to get me to use either for handle material.

Is it bone..... or horn?? Honestly, both are horrible to work with and finish. Bone, if white and/or light colored, will grab every bit of sanding swarf and/or buffing compound (if buffing), and is next to impossible to get out. It's best to sand with a light/white colored paper, and only a few passes then a new section/piece. I'd go to 2K grit, and then finish it with clear paste wax.

Horn....is nothing more than compressed hair. So anything that can happen when you wife or girlfriend is having a "bad hair day" can happen to horn handle material..... split ends, warping, some spot dull, some shiny, etc. You have to work it slowly, NO HEAT or it WILL do something you'll likely cuss about. Light on the pressure, and to at least 1200-1500 grit BEFORE you even think of buffing.....then VERY LIGHTLY and deliberately..... not enough to build up heat, so it takes time....if it even warn to the touch, it's too hot! Let it cool NATURALLY. If you dunk it in water as will be your instinct, you'll be cussing again. :) It takes a lot to get me to use either for handle material.
Sorry, it's horn

I have used lots of bone and horn, take it to 1000 or 1500 and use 3 M boat rubbing compound, it is not a grease based compound and you can get it out of cracks with a tooth brush wet or dry, I use 2" buffing wheels in my foredom don't get it hot,if you have light colored bone tape off the steel so as not to get the black from it, you can get the compound on line. Deane

Here are two crowns done with the 3 M compound with a nylon brush wheel in the foredom, the handle is elk drop horn, crack,s filled with super glue sanded and polished with the compound, the back is buffalo. Deane

Attachments

• IMG_1308.JPG
    IMG_1308.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 13
Back