Poliester resin impregnation in not so soft woods - Tutorial II

A

Ariel Salaverria

I've already posted a tutorial on "A very efficient low tech way to impregnate wood and other porous materials" in the past.
Here's a link of it in my website: http://www.aescustomknives.com.ar/docs/tutorial11.htm (there's a ton more of tutorials there)

This one is based on that one, but with an extra step, to make sure woods and other harder (but not hard enough to use them in natural) materials can be easily impregnated too.

For the particle board piece I've used for the pictures the previous method would have been more than enough, but I also wanted to show that when you put certain techniques in the equation, you can use materials that otherwise are absolutely no good for knifemaking (Can you imagine a particle board handle for instance? How long would that last and feel?) At the end of the pictorial there's a piece of Haya wood that I've also impregnated using this method.

Now with the process!

This is the vacuum chamber I've made for this process. It's a 4" diameter iron tube with the back end closed with a welded flat and the front end threaded to accept the cap you see on the pictures.

It has two different connections, the "V" marked one is the one connected to the vacuum pump. The glass in the middle acts as "trap" in case resin gets sucked in. This way, if you use too much, it gets trapped in the glass instead of messing up the compressor. The connected vacuum gauge will measure the pressure in the vacuum chamber when the compressor is running.

Connection marked with a "P" is for the compressed air I'll use later.

tutorial2_resin1.jpg

tutorial2_resin2.jpg

tutorial2_resin3.jpg

tutorial2_resin4.jpg

Here's a particle board piece that has already been drilled (5/16" diameter, 3" deep) and threaded to accept the vacuum tube. It weights 1.62 ounces.

tutorial2_resin5.jpg

Connected to the vacuum tube via the threaded tip.

tutorial2_resin6.jpg

I then put the block of wood inside a plastic bag with 50 grams or poliester resin (with 10% added styrene monomer to make it liquid enough) and seal the bag with tape.

tutorial2_resin7.jpg

Note the difference as soon as I start the vacuum compressor.

tutorial2_resin8.jpg

Once I have that set up, I place it inside the chamber and close it using the threaded cap. The vacuum gauge now meassures 18 linear inches.

tutorial2_resin9.jpg

tutorial2_resin10.jpg

After about 1-2 minutes, I close the vacuum connection, remove the tube for easy manipulation of the rest of the stuff.

tutorial2_resin11.jpg

Now this is the second step that makes a difference. When I open the intake for compressed air and apply 5 ATMs (70 lbs per square inch) for about 4-5 minutes, this forces an even deeper resin penetration before it gets dried up (about 6 minutes for the resin I use)

tutorial2_resin12.jpg

tutorial2_resin13.jpg

Once the resin gets hardened, I stop the compressor and open the cap to retrieve the piece.

tutorial2_resin14.jpg

Particle wood out of the bag, already impregnated.

tutorial2_resin15.jpg

Difference between the original weight and the after-impregnation weight: 1.13 oz

tutorial2_resin16.jpg

Comparo between a regular piece of particle board (left) and a impregnated and polished one (right)

tutorial2_resin17.jpg

tutorial2_resin18.jpg

Particle board, grainy, super soft wood, after impregnation.

tutorial2_resin19.jpg

tutorial2_resin20.jpg

Haya good, semi soft wood, after impregnation.

tutorial2_resin21.jpg

tutorial2_resin22.jpg

Hardness of the impregnated wood tested in a non conventional way :D

So I've picked a Gamo CO2 PT-80 (400fps) pistol and shot round .177" copper pellets to several woods at 3 meters (10 ft)

Depth of the mark made in the impregnated particle board: 0.0141"

tutorial2_resin23.jpg

Depth of the mark made in a regular particle board: 0.0633"

tutorial2_resin24.jpg

Depth of the mark made in the impregnated particle board (on a lateral): 0.0389"

tutorial2_resin25.jpg

Depth of the hole made in a regular particle board (on a lateral): 0.1925"

tutorial2_resin26.jpg

Depth of the mark made in a regular piece of Guayacan (a hard wood): 0.0338"

tutorial2_resin27.jpg

Depth of the hole made in my own made micarta: 0.0114"

tutorial2_resin28.jpg

Close up of the mark in the micarta.

tutorial2_resin29.jpg

Pellet incrustated on white spruce wood, a soft wood (shot also at 3 meters - 10 ft)

tutorial2_resin30.jpg

How all the marks/holes were measured.

tutorial2_resin31.jpg

http://server.com/WebApps/mail-list-subscribe.cgi?list=79955

Thanks for looking!

Ariel

Ariel, buddy, this (part 1 too) is a great tutorial. I would like to thank you - I plan on busting out the old composites stuff and giving it a try next weekend. That being said I will be wearing some blue nitrile gloves when I do - you should buy some too ;)
Every picture of your resin coated hands made me cringe - it is really bad for you. We all wear safety goggles to protect our eyes in the shop, but many people don't know how damaging chemicals like these are to your nervous system. Not even regular latex will keep it out - also you will need to change the nitriles often as they usually only hold up for a couple minutes. I buy in them in bulk as I tend to go through about a dozen pairs in a single wet fiberglass lay up. Think of them as paper towels and change them as soon as you gunk them good.

Again thank you for the tutorial - I love your knives, and want to see you live a long time and make many more ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back