Pattern Welded Felling Axe

antigoth24

I wanted to share a recent project that I have been working on, I have been trying to make a wolf's tooth pattern axe and this was my first attempt which was a disaster on the side of the pattern but it still turned out to be a nice axe. This axe was wrapped and welded with a body of mild steel and an edge of 1095 and 15n20 with a central core of 1084 giving the edge about 32 layers. The head is 8 1/4 inches long and the edge is a little over 6 inches, with the weight of the whole axe sitting at about 4 pounds. The handle is hickory and measures 35 1/2 inches long. All comments are welcome thanks for looking.

Oh also I did take photos step by step on the forging of this axe head so if anyone is interested in seeing the process I can post that in a separate thread.

Very beautiful. i have been following a couple of your post and really admire the tools yall are making and how they are made.

Thanks Shane, I appreciate you taking a look at the things I'm making, I'm still growing a lot in the craft but I'm glad people are starting to like my tools.

Back