New Twist/Scam

Sounds a little too suspicious to me. Offering the full refund upon return was about a fair as you could be.

Here's another one to watch out for: Last Thursday I got an email that seemed legit...a guy wanting to purchase on the knives listed on my website. At first everything seemed normal, and I responded with a request for the individual's name and address so I could figure shipping.....he replied back telling me that the was thrilled that he was getting the knife, and that he wanted to pay with a Cashier's Check....but did not send me the information I requested. Next email comes in on Saturday, saying that he is ready to pay, and that he wants me to ship the knife the South Africa! I again asked for his name and address, and added that I would only ship the knife to HIS address, and that nothing would ship until the cashier's check cleared......that was the last I've heard from him. I back traced the email and it had been routed through severs across Europe and South America. These people!
This is one of the reasons why I never include shipping costs in the price of a knife...it forces me to request the individual's Name and address, which in this case probably saved me being scammed.

While I am currently trying to become a professional knife maker my current profession is Granite Counter top Sales. My first thought on this subject is this...handmade knives very much like granite counter tops are never going to be perfect. When I have a customer complaining about something they don't like about there granite but are willing to accept it for a "discount" my first reaction if it is a legitimate complaint is that I would rather replace the counter top than give the discount. People only remember the discount for as long as it takes them to spend the money and then they will bad mouth your company to everyone they can. Usually the I'll accept it for a discount crowd is always trying to get more than their money's worth no matter what they are buying. As for the South African thing...I received an email about two months ago wanting me to fabricate 30 granite table tops for him and ship them to him. When I inquired about where they were shipping to he provided me and address in South Africa. He starting off saying he would pay by Cashiers Check but then progressed in to saying he would pay with a wire transfer if only I could provide him with bank routing/ account numbers. I wonder how many people get burned by this sort of thing... I think you did the right thing in asking for the knife back first. Hopefully you have kept the email string to back up your case if she pursues any legal action but most likely you will never her from her again. And you are correct in saying no retailer on the planet would give a refund before receiving their product back.

Back