New Toy

silver_pilate

Well, I picked up a new toy from the post office today. I spotted it on ebay, and I won the auction with no other bids.

It's a used PTC 415C Rockwell C portable hardness tester. It's an older model (they had a redesign a few years back), and judging by the paperwork included, it's probably from the 80's. It's looks to have been used a good bit, based on the number of calibration tests on the two test blocks (42C and 61C), but it is in amazing condition with hardly a scratch to the black paint, and the diamond tipped indenter seems to be in perfect condition. It's basically the older model of THIS unit.

This unit is designed to set up in a drill press chuck, using the drill press feed rather than having its own stand. I chucked it up and did some tests to check it out. I had to adjust the bezel a bit when I first calibrated it, but now it seems to be reading within about 1 RC consistently on both test blocks.

The best part of the deal? The new model of this unit sells for $995 new. This one, albeit used and several years old, I picked up for a grand total of $195.

--nathan

Last edited:
Sorry about that. Fixed the link. Here's a picture of the actual (older) unit I have from what looks like a Chinese site:

Old415c.jpg

--nathan

Congrats on the new toy, I know it will be fun to play with but give you a lot of good info at the same time.

Back