new to knifemaking

bubbyh

Hello everyone. I am new to the crazy knife making world. I have always loved knives since i was a small boy and have recently started to make a few blades. Here are some pics of my first ever. I made it for my wife and she really seemed to like it. ( its on a shelf in our living room! Lol) feel free to critique, good or bad. It is a 1095 steel i heat treated myself. It has california buckeye burl for the handle and a full flat grind. Well, at least my best flat grind i can do as of now lol. One thing im struggling with is the sanding right next to the ricasso. I just ran it up to a 400 grit and stopped as i liked the look there. Any advice at the ricasso area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and god bless!!

Attachments

• 20150217_012111.jpg
    20150217_012111.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20150217_012210.jpg
    20150217_012210.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to KnifeDogs.
Nice first knife. Look forward to seeing more from you.

as for you question, it appears, but I can't be sure that you are sanding the ricasso after you mounted the scales. Sand the blade to exactly the level you want it first. Put the scales on after and you will have just a little glue clean up to deal with.
t

First off, welcome to KD.

Second, it sounds like you attached the scales before sanding the blade. By attaching the scales you make it difficult to sand that small recess in the ricasso area. To eliminate this problem, finish sand the entire blade prior to attaching the scales. It makes the final sanding so much easier in that the ricasso area has easy access because the scales are not attached. I hope this helps you out on the next knife.

DeMo

So far, thank u guys for the immediate info. I did try and final sand without the scales on yet, its just that area by the ricasso is a pain!! I try to go up and down cause its easier cause u can get your block in close, but then i try and sand the opposite direction because i like the parallel marks rather than up and down. Should i just do the ricasso very first through all the grits and then go the opposite direction and try and blend it?? Very grateful for the advice!!

Yes demo the plunge i was out in left field!! Wasnt thinkin about what i was trying to say!! Its all pretty new to me, sorry. I will check the link out . Thank u demo

Outstanding first knife! Good design, nice wood work, clean pin work! Should last a life time!

Its ALL a pain to get right, the first time of course!

Now make another and besides your issues with the ricassio area look over the entire knife and see all the other things you want to improve and make each one better than the last. That doesn't mean there won't be any boners that end up in the Dang Nag it! can. Every maker has a bucket full or he hasn't made very many knives!

Stay safe and have fun.

Sounds good, and i really do have half a 5 gallon bucket of trial and errors befor i actually felt good enough to slap on some scales and actually finish this one!! Lol i just hope that one day i will be half as good as some of the members i have seen on here!!

Find a maker near you and see if he has some time where you can watch him work. He may even show you a thing or two. If he sees your serious that helps a long way. Don't forget to bring some donuts or something to show your gratitude.

Your first knife look pretty good. Check if there might be a Hammer-In you could attend anywhere close to you. I used a guard filing clamp in the beginning to help with my plunge lines. Today I free hand them.

Remember the more you make, the better they get!

That too is part of learning to do good work, and that is to see and admit to the problem areas you have. This is still a good "first"! Good for you ! Frank

Back