new makers mark

AkWildman

After years of just using a W for my touch mark I designed a new one a couple of years ago.I never included my name and it wasn't and has never been a issue for me.It was time to order new stencils at the end of last year so I included my name. Hope your happy Ed I finally followed your advice lol ! Ps I have been known to stir the pot ..... just saying. FB_IMG_1558493422304.jpg

That looks great. I'm doing something similar, Ed's theory does kind of haunt ya, doesn't it. Could you tell me the size of your stencil. Are you happy with the size?

It's a half inch wide (the name ) and 5/16th tall ,it works out fine if there isn't room on the recoso I just move it to the blade.

Very clean!

I also followed Ed's advice...I was thinking about "Zayin knives" and "the Montana Knife Co." and after hearing from a few of his posts I decided on "Hauser Knife". Every once in a while I do listen....lol. I think it was good advice...

I didn't sweat the first name as I could only find one other Hauser making knives and he is all handmade and custom order and I am limited production and more mid-tech...no clash.

So there has to be a story behind the W mark
While in the Army one of my duties was a survival instructor on Spencer glacier in Alaska. A magazine writer from New York wrote a story about my unit and myself and he called me a Euell Gibbons type Wild Man, When the article came out and the rest of my unit read it I was forever known as SFC Wild Man Baker. I used to make custom longbows and recurves under the name Wild River custom Bows and when I started producing knives for sale I went with Wild River custom knives and Scrimshaw. I grew up on a river and our homestead in Alaska is on a river.I used a w for a long time then a few years ago I added the ictus (Christian) fish and the swooping lines to represent water.

Great story and a very apropriate sig line. I hadn't noticed it was 'the fish' when I saw it. Just saw some squiggles round the W

Back