New(ish) tool - Tapmatic

Motor City Mike

I've been tapping holes for well over 25 years and I'll admit that I'm pretty darned good at it.

However breaking a tap happens and if you've ever broken one you know what a colossal PAIN getting it out can be.

Well I broke a 2-56 last week and finally decided to pull this tapmatic out and see what all the fuss is about.

Now I've have this under my bench for a least 3 years but never used it because, like I said, I'm pretty good at tapping by hand.

So I take it out and -UGH- I don't have the right collet. I bought it used just put it away without checking it.

I jumped onto Amazon and ordered a new collet. $68!!! OUCH!

Ok, fast forward to yesterday and finally get it set up and dialed in and WHOA! This thing is the cat's meow! The bee's knees!

I love it! It is fast fast fast. I tapped 16 2-56 holes in less time than 1 hole by hand.

It's really quite expensive and not for everyone but if you're doing folders or have a lot of holes to tap, you might want to consider one of these. They're everything they're cracked up to be and more.

3K5dFFyl.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve heard of them but never seen one in use. How much tapping would a person have to do to make it cost effective?

I’ve heard of them but never seen one in use. How much tapping would a person have to do to make it cost effective?

About one folder's worth of holes.

I got mine used for $70 on eBay. But if it broke today I'd be online ordering a brand new one in minutes for full price. Its that valuable to me.

I use a TACO brand tapping head. I too would order another one instantly if it broke.

I have one also, got it on ebay for I think around $180. it's brand new, I figured the guy got it from a machine shop auction.
If you build folders I think their invaluable. breaking 0-80 taps is miserable, and costly.

Back