Need leather Help

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
Ok this is what happened and ive never had anything even close to this happen. I finished the sheath 2 hours to make maybee 2 1/2 and i went to open the sheath the next day to get it ready to mold the knife to it and i placed a screw driver inside to help me open it slightly as it had tightend and hardend overnight. The front of the sheath cracked before i noticed. I know if I would have soaked the sheath in water for 1 min it would have been fine . Is there anything I can do to fix these cracks.?????
HPIM2336.jpg
HPIM2335.jpg

The leather looks unusually dry, I mean really dry like its been outside all day on a hot one. It looks very brittle.

What type of leather are you using? Grade? Was it flexible before you made the sheath or was it a bit stiff to begin with?

Cracks like that are unusual, and not really repairable, for me I'd do two things: Toss the sheath or put it to personal use (what I do with my accidents) and #2 check out your leather, low grades tend to be more problematic, albeit inexpensive, but the problems far out weigh the savings.

That leather has the same look as a chunk a friend gave me that had been in his storage shed through a few summers, amazingly stiff and brittle.

Ya the leather was both cheap and brittle. I should have known better, I just thought maybee I could salvage it by maybee really soaking it and stamping . Ide say use it myself but throwing it out sounds better. I would rather throw it out than have some one see it and think I suck . That would be putting it mildly. I should add mangling leather to my logo lol thanks kellyw

I can think of two things only if you want to keep it. One try sanding it down an drying it. Or just looking at it you may (if you have the tools) make a lighting bolt out of it. Just a thought.. ED

I'm with Kansas, if you want to salvage it find some way to highlight the crack. My first thought was a lightning bolt as well. Maybe even wick some bright blue dye or paint down into the crack.

The sheath still looks serviceable. The work looks fine. The materials were the problem.

SDS

Ya the leather was both cheap and brittle. I should have known better, I just thought maybee I could salvage it by maybee really soaking it and stamping . Ide say use it myself but throwing it out sounds better. I would rather throw it out than have some one see it and think I suck . That would be putting it mildly. I should add mangling leather to my logo lol thanks kellyw

I like your attitude and no nonsense view of things. When something like this crops up you have a big problem. Hiding it is possible, but the bad structure is still there and will only worsen with time and use. Its like carpentry, when you start with bad materials it only gets worse with time and gives you a bad name in the long run.

Always start with good materials, your technique will get better with time and patience, and listening to your mentors. Always be open to constructive criticism, I cant press that enough.

Always hearing good words, ie "That looks good!!" is all fine and dandy but one doesn't learn a darn thing! To move forward and improve your work you have to hear where the shortcomings are. Its hard to hear, but a necessary evil in order to progress in the craft. I really think this needs a thread in itself because I have seen too many crafters go on in ignorance of the problems they have because all they want to hear is good things, not where they need help.

I appreciate your open mindedness and willing to hear where you might improve your craft, its a good thing, and I hope a trend we can take on to new heights here.

PS, please feel free to use my Mangling Leather sig, its a fun thing. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone but I think Leatherman is right. I could sand off the bad area but in 3 months could reappear . Its the way the leather was tanned and bcame way to stiff. I will contact my leather guy and talk to him. I had bought 3 pieces of cheap leather one hard as a rock the other 2 so so. I like it when the leather is fairly soft and makes it easy to cut ,work, and sew. Ill go get some neats oil this might soften up the leather. Iwouldnt want anyone to see a sheath I made look like this . kellyw

No fixing that. Maybe imported leather from asia? It sometimes does that, their tanning process is different. If you must use import leather it is important to treat the entire piece when you receive it with NeatsFoot Oil and allow the color to even back out for a couple of days before making anything out of it. This is also required with American leathers if they have been laying around in the store for long periods and have dried out. If your on a budget cheap olive oil from the grocery store will work also.

I have to agree with Dwayne and Jerry, write that one off to experience and chuck it.It happens, all of us "vets" have scrapped leather projects at one time or another.Learn from it and make some more.Dave2thumbs

In the wise words of one who is fussier than I, "You start with crap, you end up with crap"

My words when I need to toss a project and just cant justify it after all that work..... "You cant polish a ****" If the structure is bad, your just going to end up frustrated in the long run. Best nip it in the bud now rather than have an irate customer on your tail spreading bad press. One bad word can set you back years.

Sorry to be blunt Ed, but I know your fussy about your knives, you really should be as fussy about what you carry them in. A bad sheath will bite its owner eventually.

No problems leatherman I don't want to make any trouble. But if hellgap was going to throw it away. Id like to see what i could do with it is all. I didn't mean to step on any toes.

No sore toes, just advice. :D :D

You really cant fix something that has a bad structure, we're just trying to save you some heartache.

It looks cosmetic, and yes you can fix cosmetic things, but this is much deeper.

No worries no problems. Its something rather new that we're trying out here, pure honesty. If those of us who have been there done that can help we will try to help.

Ed the cracks are deep and I guess a person could try to fix it but I could make a sheath from scratch in about the same time. I will throw it out and start fresh.

My friend, Dwayne, has stated his position on this situation as exactly as I could have done. You would do yourself a favor if you would purchase your leathers from reputable firms. The leather that is shown in this sheath looks as though it might have been in storage for YEARS and was no longer serviceable. The experience, although not pleasant, was a learning one that you are unlikely to duplicate. My advice would be to throw the sheath away or give it a decent burial. The cost in time and materials would be insignificant to the value of the lesson learned.

I definitely would NOT keep the sheath as a personal user. That would be the sorriest advertising you could receive. Always display your best works for your personal use. Never use any of your leather goods that would cause you to be discredited in the eyes of a prospective customer. ---Sandy---

As usual Sandy has sage advice, better than any I can think of. :)

There are many times I wish I lived in Georgia, at least for a year, I could soak up so much. Very tempting to make a move.

'Course I'd probably drive the poor fellow nuts with all the constant pestering. :bud:

Sandy that exactly right, I want my best knife and sheath on my hip when im hunting . It the best advertising when you show off a knife at moose camp/ or deer camp.

Back