Need help with guard creation...........

Dave Broughton

I'm wanting to do some guard creations that curl forward but I'm not sure how to go about it........What is the best metal for that and will brass work? If so, what about thickness and do I need to heat the brass? I'm doing this for bowies only.....thanks for any help you can give me!

Dave

For the life of me I can't seem to find anyone who makes their own guards and knows how to do some creative work on them. Surely somebody makes their own and has some knowledge how to work the metal......? Thanks

Hi Dave,

Are you talking about a big S guard or a double with a little pitch forward at the top and backward at the bottom.
What kind of heat do you have; do you have an anvil or forge. There is nothing that can't be made guard wise if you have enough tools and have a heat source. Most metals work best under heated conditions.

Fred

I just bend mine over a rod or dowel in a vise. I use a big rawhide headed mallet.

Last edited:
Most metal will bend cold. 416 stainless steel will if it is annealed first. Test a scrap piece first. Brass will generally bend but I would not use brass because of the tarnishing problem. Again do some testing.

Thanks you guys, what I want is a reversed "C" facing forward instead of back toward the handle.......I appreciate the info, very good stuff above......

I just bend mine over a rod or dowel in a vise. I use a big rawhide headed mallet.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing......I'm gonna give that a try tomorrow......What kind of metal are you using? I like brass but would consider any help that would work...

Thanks Don......I've got about 30 Damascus blades with no guards for them and I really want to put a reversed C on them. I've got blades of 4" up to 12". Gonna be fun making these knives......

Back