Motor size for disk sander

Kev

I lucked into a bunch of parts for a 12” disk sander, basically everything but the motor. What’s a good size to use for something like this?

Probably a 1 hp. If you plan to grind knives you will need a 3 phase and a VFD with forward/reverse. I would suggest the KBAC 24D
Let me know if I can help you.
Wayne

I use the same motor as what’s on my belt grinder so that I have a spare belt grinder motor. I run them off rhe same VFD.

As Wayne says 1hp is pretty standard. All depending on how you use a disk grinder even 1/2 hp would work. I used a 3/4 hp 3 ph motor ($117 shipped) which provides way more power than needed. For the disk grinder I did use an 1800 rpm motor because I felt 1800 rpm was more than I'd use for a disk grinder. I don't use it for removing LOTS of metal as I do on the 2X72 grinder, but cleaning up flats and bevels is most of work.

John has a good idea, but the IronHorse motors are so cheap no real need for a spare, and if grinder motor goes bad I wouldn't wish to give up my disk grinder. You can still run the 3/4 hp motor from the 2 hp VFD if desired, but for $75 shipped a Chinese VFD works a treat with the filters installed over the air inlets. https://knifedogs.com/threads/nema-1-vfd-filter.48879/

Less than $200 I had a new motor and VFD drive for disk grinder.

One thing to mention here, with that 12" size stuff, did you get LOTS of 12" sanding disks? You might find the cost of buying new 12 disks a tad on the expensive side compared to use 9" X11" sheets of sandpaper.

Later

Back