Moose Linerlock

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Finally finished this linerlock which is my first folder of any type so there were many lessons. Getting the lock to fit up right, getting detent ball right, etc etc too much to list but here it is. It is basically a prototype for more I have on bench to see how it holds up.
Specs- Blade is .135 BG42 RC 61 3" sharp, .062 TI frame .125 TI bolsters, moose antler scales, hardened BG42 back spacer, .250SS pivot, .187 stop. Thanks for lookin and all comments and critiques welcome.

Great looking knife!
Lots of great curvy appeal along with that cool thumb ramp and scales.

I love that BG-42 steel as well. You don't see much of it around anymore?

If this is your first folder you are destined for great things!

Sounds like a well built heavy duty folder and good looking to boot!
I see you have a flipper and thumb studs,covering all the bases.

Thanks Laurence and Calvin-
Yea you don't see much BG42 anymore- I got a good lot of it from a retired knife maker in flat bar and some profiled blanks - it's good stuff though.

I have a small hunter pattern made of BG-42 that I did about 8 years ago.
I still have a few of the laser cut blanks left and plan to finish them up soon and a bar or two of BG-42.

I learned of BG-42 years ago when i was talking with the late Bob Loveless at one of his open door saturdays at the riverside shop. He called it, Super stain resistant ATS-34. I think the company that made it fell on hard times?

Do you have any plans for a pocket clip for your sweet folder or perhaps a sheath?

Thanks a lot Don and Randy for the comments-

Laurence, I plan to make a sheath for it- the Ti clips I have didn't fit butt end the way I wanted.
On the BG42, Latrobe make it and think was one of those pre-CPM knife steels that kind of fell by wayside once CPM's came out. It was
originally created for Aerospace applications where ultra clean steel was required. Gone with the shuttle maybe?
The specs on it are nice- it's like an upgraded 440C with more carbide and Cr-Moly-Van for improved corrosion resistance and wear resistance.
Hard to beat the powdered metals but some of the old Latrobe steels- BG42, Lescaloy PGK, D7 are very good knife steels.

Last edited:
Back