Marketing Knives

gearhartironwerks

I start this thread coming from a different/same direction as most reading this thread. For the past 20+ yrs, I have been a full time blacksmith making/marketing furniture, lighting, firescreens etc to a mostly upper scale clientele. One of the tenants I have learned is that most want a "unique" (totally over used word) piece that they can brag about to their neighbors/friends as it is unlike no other they can buy.
So, imho, what does that mean to those of us who make multiples of the same vintage? (We all know that often multiples are much easier and expedient to produce). So, what to do if you make a half a dozen of the same pattern?
The answer , I think, is to advertise one at a time as being "unique".
Rather than post six at a time, post one. When sold, post another. Mix them up with other patterns.
Just a suggestion...
John

John,
Different handle materials for the six of the same help with that "unique" factor.
Another service i offer that adds to that unique factor is that I show the customer a finished knife with handle etc.
Then I let them pick out the stabilized wood or acrylic for there knife along with take a tracing of the hand and size the handle for them.

Since I mostly make Culinary knives, if its a couple that have order the commision I get tracings of both their hands and size the handle in the middle so they can both comfortable use the knife.

Not sure if that will help any with furniture or your firescreens?
Works great with knives.

Some guys on the other forums shuffle them up quite a bit. It may be for that reason or they get bored with repeating the same style.

my knives are hand cut with a bandsaw, so each blade is unique, although it may be similar in shape to the one next to it. my handles are made with figured wood, so each handle is unique.
scott

Hey Dawgs,
Thanks for some great input, that is great advice for new makers (and old), who would normally not think about wearing out a pattern, extremely quickly.
Special Thanks to John@Gearheart, for sharing HARD EARNED KNOWLEDGE! (And getting this thread started)The kind of knowledge that has to be lived through to gain! Really appreciate you guys sharing, Rex

Back