Mammoth Ivory

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
It seems to me that lately there has been a lot of mammoth ivory offered for sale both by overseas and continental sources. I want to caution new buyers on what you might be getting if you purchase. In order to maintain the colour that is visible on the outside of the scales, the first recommendation is to remove as much material as possible from the bottom. Now if the colouring is only a very much suface thing then it's going to be impossible to shape the top without removing it all ! On the other hand, scales that look rough but the colour is not just suface deep will allow you to work the ivory and accomplish great results. Whenever possible try to see an end view of the scales. They certainly will show the colouring depth. Often the pricing can be a real fooler with no relationship to the actual workability of the scales. I hope this helps you find the mammoth ivory scales that will do a great job for you. Sure shape is another thing you should be involved with but this is a more useable or not recognizable feature. Frank

Good advice Frank,thank you for posting this. That's why I don't buy mammoth ivory or stag without being able to hold it and look at it from all sides and imagining how I will be able to make it wok on a handle.

Back