Makers Mark size

opaul

I’ve decided to start using a electrical stencil for my makers mark. I think members here like IM stencils. My question is what is a good size. I’m thinking 3/32”high by 1/2” long. Plain letters like this
O.P.BUNCH

Tx

I have three different sizes to scale to the size of the blade and possible locations I like to etch.Call Patricia at IMG and she can help walk you through and figure it all out. She does the artwork, and can tell you what most guys do and don’t do. She’s awesome to work with.

Looks good. Just out of curiosity why do you mark the right side of the blade rather than the left side.

Because I like my name reading down the blade in line with it. I know it's not traditional and I did mark one blade on the other side to see how I liked it. I didn't care for it, so I went back to the right side.

I also display all of my knives with the right side facing out when in a glass case.

Last edited:
Because I like my name reading down the blade in line with it. I know it's not traditional and I did mark one blade on the other side to see how I liked it. I didn't care for it, so I went back to the right side.

I also display all of my knives with the right side facing out when in a glass case.
I really don’t think one way or the other is fixed in stone. I think DMO has marked his on the right side , and I’ve done a couple that way. I think sometime in the past someone said the left side of the blade is considered the display side since most folks are right handed
It is a nice etch. I should’ve getting my stencils from Patrica tomorrow.

I really don’t think one way or the other is fixed in stone. I think DMO has marked his on the right side , and I’ve done a couple that way. I think sometime in the past someone said the left side of the blade is considered the display side since most folks are right handed
It is a nice etch. I should’ve getting my stencils from Patrica tomorrow.

That's the beauty of making my own knives. I get to make all the decisions unless it's a commission knife and the owner demands a left side mark! I'll charge extra for that. :cool:

Back