Maker's Mark On Stainless Steel

Randy Lucius

I use a Personalizer Plus to etch my mark. I'm starting to use more stainless steels AEB-L and CPM-154. I have some etching solution that came with the kit but it's old and I would like to replace it. What etching solution would you recommend?

I know they put a lot of research in making their solutions, but when I ran out I started using salt water and actually think it works better. Just keep adding salt until it doesn't dissolve anymore then apply it to the felt and have at it.

I know they put a lot of research in making their solutions, but when I ran out I started using salt water and actually think it works better. Just keep adding salt until it doesn't dissolve anymore then apply it to the felt and have at it.
Does it work on stainless?

Let us know what you find out. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Evenheat oven, so I see some AEB-L in my future too ;)

I use the gun blue trick on my high carbon knives. Is there a “trick” for stainless? I’d like my mark to be darker than I currently getting.

Erine has a recipe online he supplies for free if you want to get fancy. I just did an AEB-L fillet knife with Salt and Vinegar. I mixed it just like the Water and Salt for carbon steel. As much Kosher Salt as I could desolve into it! Worked fine! See for yourself! It did take a little longer though.

Attachments

• 20201104_094336.jpg
    20201104_094336.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I use a stamp for my makers mark. But a LGS that I frequent has set up a computer etching engraving business. I've had them etch my makers mark on a couple of finished knives and I really like it.

Back