Looking for some advice about lining leather for sheaths

marlin121

I have never lined my sheaths before but now would like to give it a try. I have been shopping online at Tandy Leather (unfortunately I live too far away from the store to visit in person to see the materials) and they have several different pigskin lining materials to choose from, so I was hoping to get some advice about which material may work out best. Here are the options that I am looking at:

1) Glazed Pigskin Splits - Suede one side / glazed smooth one side. Description says it has a distinctive hair cell appearance. 1.5 oz
2) Split Pigskin Lining - 2 to 3 oz.
3) Full Grain Pigskin Lining Leather - Smooth surface. 1.5 to 2 oz.

I guess what I am hoping for is to find out if anyone has experience they can share about any of these materials.
Would there be any difference whether I use the splits or the full grain?

They also sell deerskin, should I be looking at that as well?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks,
Dan

Same for me as the above. 2/3 ounce veggie tanned cow hide just works best for me. The edges especially blend better when the leathers are of like tannage.

Same for me as the above. 2/3 ounce veggie tanned cow hide just works best for me. The edges especially blend better when the leathers are of like tannage.

Marlin,
Never tried pigskin but want to. Been wanting to do lined sheath also. I'm close to a Tandy store & they tell me that deer skin is chrome tanned which will harm carbon steel I'm told. Tandy also suggests going with light weight leather glued back to back or a mid weight leather glued to a light weight leather. Sorry that's about all I know. Good luck! Tell us how it works out for you....
Tom

Back