little giant 50 lb

tmr

I have an issue with my 50 lb little giant.....it will run on and not stop hammering after depressing the foot pedal......it usually does this when the weather is colder.....the linkage on the pedal seems to be fine.....I have cured the problem in the past by spraying the clutch assy down good with brake clean and i have been using a lighter weight oil in the oil cups....it seems to develop this issue if i havent used it in a while......i have a 25 lb in the same shop with no issues ......any one have any suggestions.....thanks....Tim

I'm no expert but a friend of mine had the same issue with his 25LB. It ended up being rust between the flywheel and the clutch material. Like you he sprayed it down also. He used believe it or not WD40! I don't know if that's what I would use but it seemed to have worked? If he didn't use the hammer for a while he would have to do this.

I haven't personally owned a mechanical power hammer, but it sounds like you have corrosion or something else causing your clutch to drag. I think the best thing to do would be to lightly sand the inside of the clutch drum, then put some light oil on it. Outside of that, maybe WD40, like @Gliden07 said.

As for the oil cups, be careful how light you go with the oil. Depending on what your climate is like, it might be worth having a winter and summer oil. I mean, repouring babbitt isn't that difficult, but why do it more often than you need to?

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I gave it a good spray of wd 40 and ran it a bit and the problem resolved itself......I think that the lube oil gets thicker in the colder temp and the wd40 thins it out.......anyway it was a fast and easy fix......thanks

I gave it a good spray of wd 40 and ran it a bit and the problem resolved itself......I think that the lube oil gets thicker in the colder temp and the wd40 thins it out.......anyway it was a fast and easy fix......thanks
Do keep in mind that WD40 is NOT a lubricant. Once it dries up, it turns to a water repellant goo.

I think that top shaft/clutch assembly probably needs to be pulled off and cleaned up. Brakleen and a scrub brush, then regreased/oiled and the rest of it coated in FluidFilm if corrosion is a concern.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I don,t think that corrosion is a concern at all.......the whole assy is always covered in lots of oil.....I think the oil is the problem when it gets colder in my area........as soon as i sprayed the area heavy with wd40 it quit running on.....I am using 0-40 synthetic in the oil wells for the winter now...I only keep the forge just above freezing for the winter months as i live in thunder bay ontario.....after the forge is on for 20 or 30 minutes i have the big door open to cool the area down.....the hammers and my press run fine after the shop is heated up.....

Back