List of recommended leather suppliers

C Craft

I am looking for a list of leather suppliers besides Tandy. I would prefer to deal with American companies. Links for their websites would be even better if you have them. I had such a list in my favorites and it appears to have been accidentally deleted.
Any recommendations on these companies would be greatly appreciated too as I am about to buy an entire side of Veggie tanned 7-8oz. (how is the service, good to deal with, etc., etc.)!

Before someone says it I know Tandy is an American company however a lot of there leather comes from overseas!

Been using these folks for a couple of years now. Absolutely no complaints and the best leather I have used yet.

Wickett and Craig
120 Cooper Road
Curwensville, PA 16833
1 800 826 6379

I work with Glenn Proud at ext. 222

Hope this helps......... Robert

I prebought some double shoulders from Siegel of California for a better price. I finally got them in and it is very nice leather. Just my prospective from a buying standpoint.

I prebought some double shoulders from Siegel of California for a better price. I finally got them in and it is very nice leather. Just my prospective from a buying standpoint.

When you say "prebought" what does that exactly mean? Did you have to buy more than one hide at a time to get the deal? I am all for a good deal but right now I am not in a postion to buy more than one hide at a time! I actually got part of one left but it is a 5-6oz and is what they called a Nubuck hide ( not reall Nubuck it refers too the coloration and a little to soft for a lot of my needs)!

Thanks everyone for responding to my request as I think I had all of those suppliers. I just don't know how it disappeared out of my favorites files!

OK I just looked at Wicket-Craig site and they are having a sale on overstocked Bridle (English Bridle).

http://www.wickett-craig.com/overstocked.html

(Is this any good for making sheaths or do I just want veg-tanned shoulders or sides for sheaths??????)

Can anyone answer this question about the Bridle (English Bridle)?
:les:

Last edited:
Yes i had to prepay on leather they did not have yet. And yes i had to buy extra. I was going to sell some of it but it was so nice i decided to keep it. Not the way to go if your on a budget.

OK I just looked at Wicket-Craig site and they are having a sale on overstocked Bridle (English Bridle).

http://www.wickett-craig.com/overstocked.html

(Is this any good for making sheaths or do I just want veg-tanned shoulders or sides for sheaths??????)

Can anyone answer this question about the Bridle (English Bridle)?
:les:

Call them - every month W & C have sales. Currently per the link you posted you can buy 8/10 oz Natural (undyed) carving sides: cost $95.00 USD plus Shipping -they will split to 7/8 oz for free. This is what I mostly use.

If you want pre-dyed leather (see list on your link of colors) order the skirting sides and have them split to 7/8 oz: cost $105.00-115.00 This is what Paul Long uses.

FWIW - English bridle can be used but it does not generally take tooling well since it is more heavily oiled and waxed compared to the Skirting or Carving.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Chuck I appreciate the explanation on the (English Bridle). I think I prefer to have not pre-deyed. The last leather I bought was predyed and therefore often presented a challange in obtaining the color or coloration I was looking for! I am still learning about all of this. Years ago I made a few sheats from old wore out work boots/cowboy boots to get a aged look on the leather, recycled you know! :biggrin:

I guess I went just the opposite direction. I used to order from Siegel but now I buy from Tandy. Mainly because they have 2 stores within 70 miles of my house and I can go and look at what they have and pick out what I want. I just got back from there today and bought 2 double shoulders of 8-9 oz that is some of the best leather I've seen in a while. Yes it came from Mexico but to me that's better than from some other places.
Mike

Mconner, dont feel alone with enjoying having local suppliers. I visit Tandy and the Leather Factory regularly and get most all my supplies from them. The leather has gotten so much better in the last couple of years its a non issue. Now with the new suppliers, the European leather is second to none, you pay the price, but the leather is phenomenal. I'm more than willing to pay a bit more to not have the belly and other waste to deal with, and I definitely don't want to have to buy one side for every color I use, I simply cant afford it.

Welcome to Knife Dogs!!!!! :D :D :D

Something that I've not seen mentioned on this thread, that I think is very important.....pay special attention to the tanning process used on the leather you purchase, especially the imported leather. I used to purchase leather from Tandy/Leather Factory, for the same reason(s) that others have mentioned...I could buy it locally and see it before I purchased. The problem is, even though the leather is offered as "Vegetable tanned" or "Oak Tanned", I found that the import stuff is actually chrome tanned initially, then run through a Vegetable tan process. It's a cheaper process, and they can still apply the "Vegetable Tanned" label to it, however, This has the undesirable characteristic of the leather still having chromatic acids present in it. That might not be a big deal to some, but I have found that over time knife hardware will corrode with these leathers, just as if the sheath were made of Chrome tanned leathers.

I've used a number of the leather sources mentioned, and although I have returned some sides because of brands, scars, or cuts, I still believe that the best leather comes from the "Mom-n-Pop" tanneries. One of the mistakes that I think knife makers commonly make is using too light of a leather weight for their sheaths. All too often I see a very nice custom knife, with a sheath that looks "cheesy" because the individual used 5-6oz leather. When I ask about this, the answer is usually "It's easier to work with." I just have to shake my head.....as knifemakers, we put a lot of time and effort into the knife....why would we not take that same effort, care, and thought into making a proper sheath in order to present the customer with the best "Overall Package" we can offer? I personally never go lighter than 8-9oz, and most often use 9-10oz.

Great thread! And and thank you Ed for that explanation. I am just getting started, and have a Tandy within 5 minutes of my house... I'll make a point to check other places before buying again. (not saying Tandy is out, but I'm glad to know I have options)

I'd be really interested in seeing more evidence of the "chrome before veggie" tanning process that Tandy uses. I have seen the leather using this process, but it doesn't look anything like what Tandy produces. Is there anything in writing that supports this claim?

Using Tandy/The Leather Factory leathers since 1995, this is a surprise to me.

the piece that I got first from Tandy was the last of an 8/9oz batch so I got it WAy cheap, but it looks, feels and SMELLS just like the tack room at our old barn. My wife thinks I am weird because I'll be sitting at my desk with my nose in my sheaths... :D

Honestly, I will probably keep buying from tandy because they are close to me, and I like paying and getting all at the same time.

Letherman,
I can't offer you anything written to support the claims...... and I doubt Tandy/Leather Factory would ever either. My information is based on conversations with a number of people in the Tanning industry, as well as my personal experience with the leather. At first I didn't believe it either, but after using Tandy's import "Vegetable tanned" leather for several years, and having customers return knife/sheath combos with that "green slime" on the hardware (there is no other answer than the leather contained chromatic acids), I started using domestically tanned leather, from smaller Tanneries and the difference is night and day. The leather I use now is far more expensive, but the trade off is that to this point I have had zero problems with the domestic leather, and a lot of pluses that the import leather lacked.
After this occurred is when I had the a fore mentioned conversations with some folks who work in, and operate small Tanneries, and even asked the manager of a Leather Factory store, who told me..... "That's why we can sell it at such good prices."
I'm not trying belittle any material that folks are using, just relating my experiences.

Thank you Ed for the explanation. The reason I got curious was I have handled leather that was a chrome/vegetable blend and the properties were much different than anything else, especially a true veggie tanned.

The cheaper tannages tend to leave tannins in the leather to an extent and can lead to the veritas on non ferrous metals. Chromic acids can do the same thing as tannin, both are acidic compounds. Even top grade leathers can cause the reaction if in slightly damp surroundings, The snaps on Randall sheaths are a good example, and I know he uses top grade stuff, but the green goo is there.

Brass, copper and leather is a frustrating combination, I still make brass accented sword frogs that need constant attention and kept dry or else the green goo monster comes to visit. It seems that even a good thick coat of lacquer doesn't do the trick sometimes.

I've even bought European import leather that still had a reaction, at 10.00 a square foot I'd expect it to be neutral.

Back