Leather tool identification help please...

J

jstalljon

I am going to start making sheaths for my knives, but have never worked with leather before. I read several of the tutorials on here, and some other links.

I'm an ebay/craigslist junky ;) so I've been keeping my eyes peeled for basic tools I've recognized from the tutorials.

I found a few tools from estate sales and ended up winning them. I recognize a few of the tools, but will admit many others I have no clue.

Here are the pictures....two different sets. Any information on what the tool is and what is it's purpose would be appreciated.

Talk about cart before the horse! :eek:

Thanks guys!

I recognize the punch for stitches, the next 5-6 are in a close up below, which I think are stamps, the stuff to the right...I have no idea.

tools2.jpg

I'm assuming these are the stamps, but again...any feedback or uses is appreciated.

tools3.jpg

And the other one....obviously small carving tools, a strap cutter....bone folders up top? ...but the large brush looking object, the plate and the other objects.....I need some help dogs!

Tools1.jpg

I am going to start making sheaths for my knives, but have never worked with leather before. I read several of the tutorials on here, and some other links.

I'm an ebay/craigslist junky ;) so I've been keeping my eyes peeled for basic tools I've recognized from the tutorials.

I found a few tools from estate sales and ended up winning them. I recognize a few of the tools, but will admit many others I have no clue.

Here are the pictures....two different sets. Any information on what the tool is and what is it's purpose would be appreciated.

Talk about cart before the horse! :eek:

Thanks guys!

I recognize the punch for stitches, the next 5-6 are in a close up below, which I think are stamps, the stuff to the right...I have no idea.

tools2.jpg

I'm assuming these are the stamps, but again...any feedback or uses is appreciated.

tools3.jpg

And the other one....obviously small carving tools, a strap cutter....bone folders up top? ...but the large brush looking object, the plate and the other objects.....I need some help dogs!

Tools1.jpg

I have no idea what the metal plates or the brush are for. The long tool in your first picture appears to be a spoon tool with a French edger on one end. The stamps are something too small for me to identify, a beveler, two backgrounders, a bar seeder, a basketweave stamp, and a geometric accent stamp.

Thanks NoahL....can you give a brief explanation of what the tools you identified are used for?

Thanks NoahL....can you give a brief explanation of what the tools you identified are used for?

I can try--I don't use a single one of them, honestly, but I'll do my best :p

The spoon tool with the French edger has two uses, since it's two tools. The spoon tool is for accenting your boning and tooling--for instance, you can use it to smooth out bevels or open accent cuts. The French edger is for cutting the edges of your leather projects--I've seen images of them being used to simply bevel the edges, and I've seen them used to completely trim edges.

The beveler is used to do exactly that. You make a cut with a swivel knife, set the deep-side edge of the stamp in the cut, then pound it down with a mallet and it will make the leather slope down to the bottom of the cut, giving you a raised appearance.

Backgrounders are to stamp backgrounds when doing tooling

A bar seeder would be used to fill in the centers of seeds and flowers in tooled designs, just as an example. Depending on the size, though, that could actually be a bargrounder (a backgrounder in bar form)

A basketweave stamp does this (the stuff in the center, not around the edge): http://www.jkarmorcraft.com/archive/tnl/basketweave.jpg

The geometric stamp can be used for any number of things, just as all of these can have alternate uses. Generally, though, it's used for decorative flair or patterns--you could use that one to make a quilted pattern for example.

Now Paul or somebody else who actually uses these things can chime in and explain them all much better, or tell you where I'm wrong :)

It looks like to me the plate and the two tools to the left of the plate are rivet setters. Or they are snap setters. Some style are for sheath snaps and others can be for the smaller colored or decorated snaps for bags,purse,bracelets or other items.

I will do my best to identify a little further.

I will write in the quote in red by each pic of what I identify in each.

If you are looking to get rid of anything let me know, I am looking for a few of the tools!

tools2.jpg

stitching punches, tooling punches and I think Noah got the spoon tool.

tools3.jpg

Single stitch cutter, Two shading punches for around designs, Backgrounder,
Not sure, Basket weave, Not sure.

Tools1.jpg

Three thing with round holes are hole punches and then the slot punch, Strap cutter, the carving set, Two puches but not sure of the face.
Boning tools and I dont know what the brush is for!! Maybe adding texture to dyes.

This will make your learning curve shorten considerably. It's a great book for beginners and I still refer to it from time to time and I've been at this since 1951.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Books-Patterns/61960-00.aspx?feature=Product_148

That link will take you to Tandy/Leather Factory web site and a book entitled Leathercraft Tools...how to use them...how to sharpen them...by Al Stohlman.
It has a ton of information about hundreds of tools. Retails for $9.99 and worth every penny to a beginner or a veteran.

Good Luck!

Paul

Back