Ladder question

Mks

I have 29 layer material 1084,15n20 and understand grind 1/3 ,1/3, deep for ladder pattern but how thick should material be when grinding in the ladder pattern?Any suggestions would be great.

I have not done ladder pattern, i have been reading up on it. There is a great article on the American Bladesmith Society forum about it. I believe that it said a high layer count looks best.

It depends on the knife. But the way I look at it is to think about what the final thicnkness you want for the billet, then the red line would be the thickness of the billet when flattened.
Untitled.png
Make this a bit larger because it will thin out a little as you flatten the billet.

So I guess, make it 1/3+ thicker than your final dimensions.

It depends on the knife. But the way I look at it is to think about what the final thicnkness you want for the billet, then the red line would be the thickness of the billet when flattened.
View attachment 75021
Make this a bit larger because it will thin out a little as you flatten the billet.

So I guess, make it 1/3+ thicker than your final dimensions.
Oh ok that makes sense.thank you

Any "stock removal" damascus pattern (such as ladder....where you remove stock in order to create patter) can be easily erased by too much grinding. You cannot just make a ladder pattern billet, then stock remove it. The ladder will be erased through grinding. With any stock removal damascus pattern.... it should be forged as closely to final as possible, in order to retain the most pattern. ;)

Any "stock removal" damascus pattern (such as ladder....where you remove stock in order to create patter) can be easily erased by too much grinding. You cannot just make a ladder pattern billet, then stock remove it. The ladder will be erased through grinding. With any stock removal damascus pattern.... it should be forged as closely to final as possible, in order to retain the most pattern. ;)
Thank you

Back