Kydex Curling!

KCorn

Help! I am new to kydex and have been trying to use .080 kydex to make a sheath. I have tried using an oven, a heat gun and even a skillet with the aid of a non-contact thermometer and have had big trouble with the kydex curling up on itself like a newspaper. I have tried heating it slowly and evenly but no matter what I try it curls. I have placed a flat object on it on the skillet and that works well until you start to try to get it in the press laid flat. By the time I wrestle it into the press and get it flat I'm sure it cools quite a bit and reduces the ability to get a good print. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm just starting with Kydex myself so will be watching this thread. Good luck - the couple of sheaths I've made with .060" have not curled yet. I did allow one to overheat on the hotplate eye when I forgot for a couple of extra minutes.

Ken H><

You may be overheating it. I put mine in a pizza oven with a glass door,I pre heat the oven to 350 deg.F,lay the kydex on the wire rack and then watch it through the glass door,when it starts to think about curling I take it out and press it. I think curling is the stage just before shrinking.

Thanks Calvin. Ill give that another try tonight. Do you think Kydex and Boltoron from USAKnifemakers reacts the same and requires the same temps?

One Kydex tutorial I read suggested the actual temperature wasn't as important as just watching/checking kydex during heating process. Once it gets about where a slice of cheese is in flexible/pliable, then move to press. The Kydex I've done this works pretty good - just lay on hotplate eye, keep an eye on it (don't forget like I did), and it really works.

Ken H>

Kydex and Boltaron are two different materials having different (but close) working temperatures.
Boltaron will curl up if overheated. Kydex tends curl less but deform a bit if overheated.

If you are getting a curled up piece, you have Boltaron and need to lower the temp a bit and sneak up on it a little slower.

I have had the best luck with a large electric fry griddle personally. I have never used a small oven so I can't speak to that. I also use a heat gun to put heat right where I want it.

You are definitely getting the kydex/Boltaron too hot to fast. I use a five dollar toaster oven from Good Will to heat my kydex so it's not like you need an expensive set up or run the risk of ruining a hot plate, or griddle to get good results. Like Calvin said, my little oven has a glass door and I watch that stuff like a hawk. As soon as it starts to move/curl/distort, I get it out of there and mold it. In what ever method you use to heat your material, watch what your temperature settings are and once you find the sweet spot write them down for future reference.

Whats already been said about heating too fast is correct
I have no oven and i use heat gun, (im new to kydex btw, finished my second one yesterday)

But EVERY time i used a heat gun it curled. Jus tlast time i decided to lower the power, my heat gun has three air powers and 9 levels of temp, i used to go for 3-9, last time i tried 2-7 with slowe even motion, took more time but worked like a charmn(i placed the kydex on aluminum tray, so with other backing it ought to take less time), and near the end you want you can raise power.

Since gradual even heat is the best i advise you to use the electric oven tho since yo already have it

Lots of good advice here. I think we've all made about the same mistakes when first starting out. I can tell you what I do, but it might not work for you as you r methods are likely not the same. We all do it differently.

If using an oven, cut a few small pieces of Kydex or Bolatron (whichever you are using) and test them at different temps and times in your oven. For me, I run my oven at 275F. Once it comes to temp and I have all of my prep work done, I put the Kydex in the oven for two minutes (0.06 thickness). I find this temp and time to be perfect for my oven. For thicker stock of Kydex (0.08), I let it soak for closer to three minutes.

I always place my Kydex in the oven in the same spot, front center with about 1/4" hanging over the grate. When I open the oven door, I should see the edge of the sheet of Kydex hanging over the grate deforming and bending over the grate. If it isn't I close the door and give it another 30 seconds. The Kydex should be nice and pliable when put into the press, kinda like a medium cooked noodle. If your sheet of Kydex is "tacky", you've over heated it.

Back