knife forged in mimetic san mai

Yep.
I have some black and white marble also that I am planning to use. I believe it is from Portugal. I picked it up from a friend overseas and carried it home half way around the world.

Any thoughts on stabilizing stone for knife handles? I have done it - just curious...

Neat! How does one go about finishing a stone handle? Does the weight of the handle unbalance the knife?
Hello, no the handle does not bother in weight, it's not the first time, and I have others in progress with much more high-end stones.

for the finishes I am a mason and stonemason for historical monuments in France. Although I no longer work in this field, I have kept the knowledge, and even without equipment according to marble, this work quite well.

Yep.
I have some black and white marble also that I am planning to use. I believe it is from Portugal. I picked it up from a friend overseas and carried it home half way around the world.

Any thoughts on stabilizing stone for knife handles? I have done it - just curious...
I have not stabilized it, on the other hand for a semi-integral multi-bar blade with modern steel and two sections of artisanal steel which we saw in 1330 and 1360 two historical figures, I am planning a handle in green marble which comes from the Alps , but perhaps has stabilized if that is possible

I have not stabilized it, on the other hand for a semi-integral multi-bar blade with modern steel and two sections of artisanal steel which we saw in 1330 and 1360 two historical figures, I am planning a handle in green marble which comes from the Alps , but perhaps has stabilized if that is possible
I have used non-stabilized serpentine (black jade?) and decided to have a couple scales of it stabilized. I also have a jasper/agate/chert in process. These are glassy, high silica, so I don't think they'd need it, but decided to try it anyway on the serpentine. I doubt if there will be noticeable difference but we'll see.

I noticed the marble piece I have was a lot softer and more porous. It seems like stabilizing the marble could benefit it. One for a little extra strength. And two, for finish - nicer polish and more resistant to staining in the kitchen. My piece is also black/white/grey....so lighter than yours in this photo.

I live in Alaska and picked up a bad habit of rock hounding. I don't have any background in stonework but it has been an interest for several years. I keep an eye out for high silica rocks, but am learning about others. I just recently something interesting I believe it is "leopard jasper"- red circles with green inside them. I'll see if I can get a picture.

I have used non-stabilized serpentine (black jade?) and decided to have a couple scales of it stabilized. I also have a jasper/agate/chert in process. These are glassy, high silica, so I don't think they'd need it, but decided to try it anyway on the serpentine. I doubt if there will be noticeable difference but we'll see.

I noticed the marble piece I have was a lot softer and more porous. It seems like stabilizing the marble could benefit it. One for a little extra strength. And two, for finish - nicer polish and more resistant to staining in the kitchen. My piece is also black/white/grey....so lighter than yours in this photo.

I live in Alaska and picked up a bad habit of rock hounding. I don't have any background in stonework but it has been an interest for several years. I keep an eye out for high silica rocks, but am learning about others. I just recently something interesting I believe it is "leopard jasper"- red circles with green inside them. I'll see if I can get a picture.
Nice section, I have some nice piece, but so stiff to cut and shape... but it's beautiful.

actually the more silica there is, the more difficult it is, I have a marble handle with inclusions of alternating shine like carbon fiber. I had fewer problems than some other handles in stone.

Are those quartz inclusions?

I would test for serpentine/jade with my knife. The serpentine would scratch. I started doing that with anything that had a glassy appearance.

Stones that are harder than the hardness of my knives I only use diamond abrasives.

But I noticed some of my grinder belts would also sand/polish the serpentine and other softer stones I had.
It is kind of like hunting for stones….the harder material cuts the softer material. I can’t articulate which belts, except the ceramic, w/o going back and double checking and doing more with it.

By the way green marble sounds very intriguing.

Back