Knife Dogs Hammer In....Who's going!

J. Hoffman

Dealer - Purveyor
This will be my fifth year of going to Boss's Hammer-In in Mankato. Years past have been smaller and it's been easy to meet new people and get to talk with them. With the event being much bigger this year their are going to be many new faces, and it's unlikely I'll get to meet and talk with everyone. If you are going, let us know. Who are you? Where are you coming from? Have you been to this Hammer-In before? Who are you looking forward to seeing/meeting? What are you looking forward to learning? What cool stuff are you looking to buy from Boss? Add questions if you like. I'm really looking forward to this year!

I'll be coming from Shawano WI (about 5 hour drive) and will be there early Friday afternoon. I missed the first year Hammer-In, but have been to all the rest. This is one of my favorite events every year. I'm looking forward to seeing Peter Martin, Tracy, Larry Franklin, Jim Pohling and meeting new people. I'm hoping Steve Janik will teach me how to make a left-handed Kydex sheath, I'm hoping to learn more about Electro Etching, and improve my etching. I'm also looking forward to checking out the Big Blue hammers. I need to pick up some epoxy, a new etching marker and some cool handle material from Boss.

My biggest suggestion at the Hammer-In is to not be shy. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to people, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure you also bring some of your knives. We all want to see knives!

Last edited:
I'm going, can't wait. I have been busy with my farrier work and trying no to let our small horse farm fall apart around me, so I haven't had much time to make much lately. I will have a couple new pieces though. Looking forward to meeting new folks and saying hi to old (and not so old) friends. I don't want to look at the Blue Hammers, cause I can't afford one! Lol. And I'm always looking for handle material. I'm sure I'll spend more money then I want on things I did realize I needed.
I need some belts to rough in handles, what do you all use? Aluminum oxide?

I'll be there Jess. I'm coming from Dresser, WI and I'll be there Friday about noon. I've made some good friends in the last 5 hammer-ins I've been to. Tracy, Beth, and all the gang there. You Jess, Justin, Peter, Steve, Larry, Keith, Jim and bunch of others too. You are right, it's going to be a big event this year. Lots of new vendors and a lot of things to try out. I buy a years worth of belts and supplies at this event. It's a good time to stock up on what you need, and what you want. I won't be displaying at the show, but I hope I can do it next year. The instructors are top notch, and they have taught me so much.
This event gets bigger every year, and has to be or soon will be the biggest knife makers event in the upper Midwest.
See you all there.

What does everyone expect from the show? Is it advertised? Locally, on the web? Is it going to be mostly other makers looking?

Hi Cody,
The knife show will just be open to the public on Saturday from 9am-5pm. There are a few of us here that will be hitting the pavement the next couple of days putting fliers up. We have it posted on Facebook, local calendars and the news station might make an appearance Friday to get it talked about. Right now we are sitting at about 12 tables. I think we will have alot of curiosity from the community.

We are also going to have a food truck here on Saturday. Lola's: http://www.lolaamericanbistro.com/
Here is there website, we will just have a few of the options, also they will have some breakfast items too.

See everyone in a few weeks!!
Beth

What does everyone expect from the show? Is it advertised? Locally, on the web? Is it going to be mostly other makers looking?

I will be coming from Winona MN. First time coming but I'm really looking forward to it. It will be great to put some of these names to faces. I probably won't be there till early Saturday though.

Last edited:
A bunch of random stuff follows:

It should be interesting. I set it up so someone that is determined might get to see most of it but you won't catch it all.

The participation side of it is full and has been for awhile. We have a waiting list but at this point I don't think we will be able to accommodate getting them into the participation side of it.

Lee Atwood has been exceptionally persistent at getting into the event and made a good case for himself. He volunteered to do anything to help so we put him on the food crew and he is now in. Lee is a newer maker working with Tony Metsala and if Tony takes him in, that's good enough for me.

Many guys can't spend three days on something like this but you are welcome to stop by and have a look anytime.

I have been building another forge so we will have at least three forges running. One blown forge for damascus, one 2 burner and another single burner. We have three anvils so each forge will have their own anvil to work on.

I don't have a many good tongs. If anyone has a couple to loan for the weekend, that would be great. I will have some 3/4" rebar on hand and we will try and forge out a few sets of tongs.

I put together a portable post vise for the hot shop.

If someone has a stump or two that could be used in the hot shop as a wood anvil/swag, bring it along please.
I will be working on dies for the 20 ton press next.

We have about a dozen campers in tents and 5 or 6 RV campers. -Sorry, no electric or water. Bring a generator if you need electric. The city has an open burning ban so there can not be any camp fires.

We have been fairly quiet about these locally in the past. This time we have been marketing locally and should see some community interest, especially Saturday.

Saturday night is closed to the public but I'm sure a few of my friends will stop by to join in the party that evening with the band. Funny how a couple kegs of free beer raises interest that way.

Jerry has been practicing his knife throwing. He wants your money. We will staple several playing cards to a target. Everyone in that round gets three throws for a buck. The best hand wins that pot.

Bohler is sending us some 1095 and 15n20 for damascus. Everyone won't get a billet but several will. We will put together several cans of chain/powder for smashing. I'd like to also try making some three layer (not San-Mai because you know why) with 416 on outside and s90v in the middle. We'll see how that goes.

If you are an experienced welder and can help welding billets, etc, let me know please.

Evenheat is giving away an oven with their new TAP controller for registered participants. That is amazing.
The owner of IMG Electromark will be on hand for the entire event. We will set up an etch station and he can answer any questions about etching.
Burr King will be bringing some new to market or not yet to market attachments/setups in their grinder line. They have been watching the knife grinder market and have made some great enhancements to their line.
We have a new abrasive supplier that is going to send us some not yet to market abrasive belts they want us to test for them.

Hi Daniel, you are one of the people I want to meet this year. You've been doing some great work that you have shared with us here. And, we're not that far apart.
See you in Mankato. Be sure to look me up if I don't see you first.

I will be coming from Flat Rock Mi. Looking forward making new friends and filling my head with new idea's.

Hi Daniel, you are one of the people I want to meet this year. You've been doing some great work that you have shared with us here. And, we're not that far apart.
See you in Mankato. Be sure to look me up if I don't see you first.
I'll do that! I look forward to meeting you aswell!

update:
The bbq smoker has been fitted with an extra shelf and brackets to hold 120+ turkey legs.
I've finished cobbling together another forge. The burner gave me an issue but I switched that out for a T Rex and it roars now.
Mitch Kittle stopped by the other day and we talked about changing the die set up on the 20 ton press so I am working on that next.
Ordered in some additional tong blanks from Kens Custom Iron and will need to finish forging those.
New merchandise displays have been put up to better show some of the items.
We picked up a new mega grill that can hold dozens of burgers and brats for lunch time.
Multi-tool demo machine arrived. It's a conversion to a Jet grinder that adds a belt sander.
IMG of Utica has shipped several items for his demo.
We have arranged for several 100lb propane tanks so gas shouldn't be a problem.
We have a couple hundred pounds of meat to pick up next week from the local butcher.
We've put together a couple grinder frames.
Posted flyers around town to encourage attendance at the knife show Saturday.
Scored a several large wooden cable spools from a place down the street to put out in the back yard for tables.
Knife throwing targets are done along with a dozen throwing knives.
I actually cleaned my bench and that never happens.

Back to work now...
See you next week.
t

Yup can't wait me and steve Janik have made every one from the start don't think we would miss it for anything. It gets pretty busy so I hope to meet all but if I don't just walk up and say hello.
Tracy's out doing himself this year and from all of us thank you for putting on one of the most fun filled events I now of. And a huge thanks to Beth and the team they are awesome

Back