John Wilson knife review!

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Yesterday I received john's KITH knife in the mail. (it may have been at the Post Office for a few days....We don't have mailboxes in town)
I am only putting up one photo as I am just learning how to take knife photos and mine are not up to showing off this knife properly.

IMG_0096.JPG

The knife was packaged well...came in a nifty little "fur" lined case with bubble wrap in the box to take up "rattle". when I unzipped the little case...my wife , son, and I all said, 'WOW!" at the same time. Yes it is a beautiful little knife.

The handle is 3.5 inches long, the blade is 2.6 from handle to tip. There is a slight dovetail at each bolster to hold the handle in place. The wood is Australian Myrtle...I think perhaps stabilized? If not it is very hard and not porous at all. The color is beautiful and at least my pic shows that correctly. What it doesn't show is the subtle burl style grain and the depth of it. Even though this is a satin finish it shows grain very well.

that satin finish is played out on the entire knife. All the pieces have a very smooth satin finish....very subtle and muted and classy. The edge breaks are perfect for this size knife...any bigger would deter from the crisp clean look...any smaller would feel too sharp. Nailed it on that.

The handle does have a varying radius on the edge where the swell is (once again very subtle) the radius increases just a bit at the belly and the back and so maintains the "line" at the bottom of the edge breaks from from to rear of the handle. Exactly how it should be.

This model knife is a slip joint "whittler"...when I first read that I immediately though of an old slip joint I had (once upon a time as a boy) That I closed on my finger...whittling. I thought, "I hope this little knife of John's has a nice firm spring...." Yep...you are not going to worry about this blade closing on you even in heavy use.

While it opens easy and snaps to exactly 90 degrees and then fully open almost feeling like a locker you can tell that appropriate thought has gone into how this blade will be used. The nail nick is put out on the taper-down portion of the blade (running parallel to the drop area) so it gives you very good mechanical advantage for opening against a nice stiff spring. This little knife is performance built.

The spine of the blade is flat yet the drop point area has been given a subtle radius going from full blade width and the radius diminishing as it heads to the blade point. Where it meets the flat portion of the blade it creates a small crescent on the flat...very nice looking detail...and cleaner looking than all get out!

Another detail I love is the plunge line. The plunge line radius curves to a full 90 degree radius right at where the blade bevel meets the spine. (I think you probably only get one shot at this...lol)

The blade is AEB-L...61RC, Cryo'd...comes with a lifetime guarantee...come with free sharpening if I pay shipping ....Which I may have to try occasionally as I cannot get my knives this sharp! LOL! I can get 'em to shave...but this thing shaves without "tugging" hair....

Well...that's about it....VERY pleased with this knife. When I was a youngster my dad would buy me something that he he had and really liked(pocket knives being one...) then he would say, "Now we can be Teds together..." (His name was Ted) We liked much of the same stuff...He passed away a few years back....If he were alive I would order another one of these and give it to him...and we'd be "Teds together" again! He would love this knife as much as I do....

John Wilson...thank you!...and well done!

Ted, I want to thank you for such a warm and positive post. I don’t believe I’ve earned such high praise but I am thrilled that you are satisfied with the knife. Like all of us here, I can only think of the things I need to improve upon. I certainly hope you will use your knife without the least bit of hesitation and share your feedback with me as time goes on.

I want to especially thank you for sharing that story about your Dad, and the part “We can both be Teds now.” That really touched me. That you would have even considered letting me make a matching one for your Dad choked me up. That’s the highest praise I could ever imagine. Thank you for that, from the bottom of my heart.

John is a great knife maker and a very generous person to give such a beautiful knife. My hat's off to you John. :)

Back