Jeremy Bartlett's KITH for Bossdog!

Hey Jeremy , thanks for the post and video. Helping me alot. Gonna be trying that hamon stuff after i finish my kith for the texas newbie.!

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm gonna pass on some info that Ed told me at Blade show 4 years ago. "This may not be the best way to do it, but this is how I do it and it works for me" There is always multiple ways to get to your end result. Try a few and find out what works best for you!

Hey, Jeremy, I see there are various grades of AO powder available on Amazon. Have you used more coarse grits of powder using the felt pad technique, instead of sand paper, to finish a blade or handle?

Hey, Jeremy, I see there are various grades of AO powder available on Amazon. Have you used more coarse grits of powder using the felt pad technique, instead of sand paper, to finish a blade or handle?

I have not. The only powder I have used is the 1500 SC. From what I understand sandpaper has sharp grits, but the powder is more rounded. So my thinking would be sandpaper would be better for removing material and the powder for finishing. You might get a nice satin finish with ending with the same grit powder as paper. Say 600 grit. I may have to try that.

Ok guys...been a while but I haven't forgot about @BossDog kith knife. I wanted to try something different since I'm supposed to be challenging myself, so I used a material I bought 4 years ago and had been saving for when i make some slipjoints. This is genuine Westinghouse micarta, what a lot of people call butterscotch micarta, it yellows with age and has a similar look to ivory. This stuff is really rare anymore, so I was thrilled to get my hands on some, not so happy about the price, but I think its worth it. I was super scared to mess it up, but I think its turning out awesome. I paired it with some blue dyed curly maple. Let me know what you think...

20201123-212355.jpg

Yay it made it! I'm glad you like it, make sure you clean off the oil before you use it. Pretty sure I coated it with 3 in 1 or wd40 as I am out of mineral oil

Back