I built a Sharpening Jig for my 2 X 72

Dwane Oliver

I have been using the Wicked Edge sharpener , it works great.
BUT
And maybe I'm just being anal. The angles are not correct. If all blades were 1" deep , it would be close to what it says on the tool. On a 2" deep blade , 17deg is really about 14deg. The problem is that the adjustment is in the abrasive , not the blade.
I just wanted something better....So I made this.
Its adjustable from 0 deg to 50 deg. I made a tool to set it at 17 , 20 and 25 deg easily. It works great too. I need to order a leather belt now.
I run the belt backwards, so its pulling away from the edge , tracks great.
It bolts in the existing holes for the flat platten , and the platten is tilted back to its max.
I also made the holder for the blade. Its made from some .250" X 2" 1095. I HT'ed and tempered it back to spring hardness. Holds it tight and square.

BeltSharpener1.jpg

BeltSharpener4.jpg

BeltSharpener3.jpg

BeltSharpener2.jpg

BeltSharpener5.jpg

BeltSharpener.jpg

BeltSharpener6.jpg

Took just a few min to put this 20 deg edge on this knife. The first time is always a challenge. Took it up to 15 micron , thats the finest I have on hand , but it does shave arm hair at that.
SUCK24.jpg

Dwayne that looks really good, I have tons of sharpening equipment and use my grinder the most for knives. I have a leather belt for my 2x72 and it runs ruff try one of the felt type belts with cr ox . I use norax structured abrasive belts 5 micron I think they are 3000 grit and then ill run fabuluster or simular white abrasive right off the same belt and works really good. I start all my razors with this then move on to the whet stones from 1k to 14 k then strop on cr ox . Ive been trying lots of different things cuzz hand sharpening in one word , sucks. When a razor starts out from 600 to 14k and stropping on the belt takes 3 hours some times. When I sharpen a knife it takes 10 min .I think you might be onto something . Kellyw

Back