Hi all.

Austin Thrasher

I am a part time maker. I’ve done a few small and local shows just trying to get my name out there. I am a machinist by trade and currently work in a die shop repairing and making stamping dies. My knives are starting to look halfway decent and I am constantly striving to make each blade just a little better than the last. I hail from rural Southern Indiana and grew up in a little farm outside of town where nearly every waking moment other than work or school was spent outdoors enjoying life in some capacity or another. I would say my love for cutting tools stems from my personal enjoyment of hunting, fishing, and camping and the need for a quality blade in everything I do outdoors. My first attempt at a blade came about when I found a piece of scrap steel in the woods and decided to try to make a knife on dads old hard wheel grinder. My desire grew from there and when I decided I’d had enough of all the cheap, China made knives that were always dulling or breaking way to quickly, I started researching how to make my own. My grandpa always told me that I couldn’t be a real man unless I carried a pocket knife and a ball point pen because a man needed both every day. Well, I’ve always got the knife and most of the time the pen. I hope that at least classifies me to be half a “real” man in Papaws eyes haha!
Anyway, glad to be here.94A44E22-D8D6-4244-8D76-CD34D03F2E30.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Austin. There's some really great people here. It's nice to have you with us.

Welcome to KD. Post up pictures of your knives and ask as many questions as you wish. This site is a pretty friendly place.

Welcome Austin. While it don't bother me a bit. Pics that contain blood are now days a great way to destroy a man's business the do-gooders of the world band together and the next thing you know no one is calling, emailing, and you are ostracized to coldest part of Siberia or something like that!

I understand that Facebook has kicked folks that use it too sale their knives, off for should I say,......…. off color pics and some saying such things as zombie killers, etc.

It is a crazy world we live in now days! To me your pics says he built a knife that does the job. But then again I am not the one who is going to criticize you at all! I am the one that will stand beside you. I love to hunt, fish, and enjoy the outdoors in general. It is a shame how politically correct the world has become!!

It looks like you have a really good folder there. That is a folder isn't it??? Welcome again brother!!

Welcome Austin. While it don't bother me a bit. Pics that contain blood are now days a great way to destroy a man's business the do-gooders of the world band together and the next thing you know no one is calling, emailing, and you are ostracized to coldest part of Siberia or something like that!

I understand that Facebook has kicked folks that use it too sale their knives, off for should I say,......…. off color pics and some saying such things as zombie killers, etc.

It is a crazy world we live in now days! To me your pics says he built a knife that does the job. But then again I am not the one who is going to criticize you at all! I am the one that will stand beside you. I love to hunt, fish, and enjoy the outdoors in general. It is a shame how politically correct the world has become!!

It looks like you have a really good folder there. That is a folder isn't it??? Welcome again brother!!

Hey man thanks for the advice. I’ll edit it. Yes it is a folder. My second one. I’ll post up some pics. Where is the best place to post them?

Last edited:
Hey man thanks for the advice. I’ll edit it. Yes it is a folder. My second one. I’ll post up some pics. Where is the best place to post them?

Austin, don't take me wrong I don't think anyone here would have a problem with the original photo you had up!!!

I just was trying to give you heads up, when you present yourself before the average public, you are looking to advertise your knives with the hope of selling them.

Some might be turned off by a bloody pic and then there are some now days will do any thing they can to get you shut down!! Believe me, I am not a vegetarian at all. I believe their is room for the veggies,...…….. right next to a good piece of meat!!

As for posting photos you can post them with most any thread! If you are specifically looking for a place just to post the pics. Here is the section for that I believe, the Knife Picture Gallery. Second section down from the top!!

Welcome again and I like these knives as well!!!

Wow...like both of those too!

especially the small one. Olive wood handles?

Thanks. Yessir. I actually saved myself a little bit of money on those olive handle scales. I found a couple olive cutting boards at our local TJ Maxx store for like seven bucks. They were probably 8 x 10“ or thereabouts and they were 3/8 thick so perfect for ripping up into handles.
I don’t particularly care for the Americanized tanto but you make what the customer wants lol. He wanted a matched set. The steel is Alabama Damascus.

Thanks. Yessir. I actually saved myself a little bit of money on those olive handle scales. I found a couple olive cutting boards at our local TJ Maxx store for like seven bucks. They were probably 8 x 10“ or thereabouts and they were 3/8 thick so perfect for ripping up into handles.

Great minds think alike!! I was Christmas shopping for the wife last year and saw similar cutting boards at Target. I couldn't believe my eyes! I sorted through the rack and found two boards with absolutely insane figure. Merry Christmas to me! I have them set aside to make a nice matching kitchen set.

Austin good write up and intro. I just told my son the other day you always carry a knife.
I really like the one on the right nice work.
Now excuse me while I go to TJ Maxx...LOL

I don’t particularly care for the Americanized tanto but you make what the customer wants lol. He wanted a matched set. The steel is Alabama Damascus.

That is just genius, to the kitchen section.

Back