Help identify this anvil

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I just picked this up locally.
It's 169lbs
The Pritchel hole is 5/8"
The hardie hole is 7/8" or a pretty skinny 1"

The makers mark side is fairly worn. We tried to rub some oil on it for increased contrast and even tried to do a rubbing but we couldn't make it all out.

There are 3 lines.
The top line says WOOD (something)
the Second line says (something) BRIDGE
The third line says WARRANTED

The back side is marked 1 2 0

The rebound is OK but nothing to get excited about. It has a 1/4" sway I will dress out with an angle grinder. The edges are fairly worn and beyond getting them sharp again. The wear marks around the feet are interesting like they were used for cutting but then it might also be how it was secured to a base.

Any ideas?

anvil-makers-mark.jpganvil-front.jpganvil-weight-stamp.jpganvil-back.jpg

Last edited:
Tracy.
Did a quick search and the name Attwood Stourbridge came up.
Maybe this will poiint you in the right direction.

Don't worry about getting the edges sharp, I like to have a radius from about 3/8" near the horn and gradually progressing down to sharp, with both sides matching (as much as possible).
Don't worry about getting the swag out. Use it! You can not streighten something out on a flat surface. The swag is actually a benefit.
The cuts on the side and on the feet are from a blacksmith making tools or sharpening them and testing the edge.
The numbers on the side are the weight in Hundred weights. A hundred weight is not one hundred pounds,,,, it is one hundred twelve pounds.

the first number (1) = 112 pounds
the second number (2) = 28 X 2 or 56 pounds (28 is a quarter of 112 or a quarter hundred weight)
the third number (0) = 0
add each together to get the weight of the anvil (it was acceptable for the weight to be 10 percent over or under)
112+56+0= 168.
I see that you have it next to a scale so I assume that you verified the calculations.

Yeah, I know, that was more information than you asked for.

I thought it was hundred weights myself but I weighed it and the math doesn't work. The actual weight is 169lbs. The test cut marks make sense and so does leaving a bit of swag. I'll make half flat and work with the swag also.

I thought it was hundred weights myself but I weighed it and the math doesn't work. The actual weight is 169lbs.

Boss,
Don't forget that Wayne stated that it was acceptable for the weight to be off up to 10% either way.

Back when a lot of these old anvils were made, there were not as many restrictions on manufacturing processes, meaning if the maker advertised a product, regulation of that product (if any) was on the "loose" side.
Methods of measurement could vary, and the makers may not have been subject to a system of standardized measurements. e.g., One persons scales reads 170#, while another reads 167# while measuring the same object.
While much of this is insignificant, remember that there are many things that may impact the ultimate final weight, which is why we have the "10% window".

Did the manufacturer list the weight based on a previous known pattern, or did they actually weigh the final product and then mark it?
Using the example of stating weight based upon a previous pattern, if the anvil was constructed of a casting with a steel plate welded to the top (most popular method), several things in the casting process alone could throw the weight off from what was originally intended.
Patterns wear, thus changing dimension and affecting the weight of the casting.
For those familiar with casting, variables such as metal content and pouring temps can significantly impact the final weight.

For that matter, other little factors come into play, such as addition or changing sizes of hardy hole, pritchel hole, etc.
Some manufacturers even changed methods of processing for the same anvil, yet the weight is still listed the same as the "older model". An example would be the chain hole you see in the waist on some anvils, but an otherwise identical anvil from the same manufacturer doesn't have it.
Some anvils could have come with additional features like an upsetting block, yet could possibly have been listed as weighing the same as an otherwise identical anvil without one.

You're within less than 1% of advertised weight; that's very good!
If you look closely on your anvil, you'll see the numbers are spaced far apart. Look even closer, and it looks like dash lines between the numbers.
To me at least, that's a good sign that the manufacturer used the hundredweight system of measurement, especially since actual weight is so close to stated weight. I highly doubt it's a date.

Good luck with it.

Rob

Boy was I not paying close attention to my math. I saw something completely different in Waynes post. The math works perfectly according to the stamp. Sorry Wayne. I'll pay closer attention next time. Thanks Rob.

Back