Help! I screwed up!

KCorn

Hey guys! I was apparently a little sleep deprived in the shop last night and accidentally ground too far into the tang if a full tang knife and ground into one of the holes I had drilled to lighten the tang. Any ideas on how to fill the hole? It has black G10 scales and so I had thought of filling it with black acraglass. Thanks!

You could fill it with epoxy/acraglass. Shouldn't really hurt anything, other than perhaps the asthetics of the knife.

Depending on size, locations, and frequency of the holes, it may also be possible to reprofile the handle so that you can grind the hole completely out. Hard to say without seeing a picture.

Either way, chalk it up as a valuable lesson learned, and keep it as a shop knife. ;)

Why dont you grind/file a shape to look like filework and then fill the whole thing with colored epoxy. That may require you to make more than one hole to make it more of a pattern than one randon hole.
I am hoping that you do not have all the handle attached.

No such luck. The handle is already epoxied and pinned on. It was a last minute design modification that got me in trouble. I have heard it say that there are no mistakes in knife making just design modifications. This one worked the other way around

That is correct! :35: You have made a Design Modification and now its time to make it beneficial to the design!:biggrin:

Shop Knife, Don't do that again. Our son Mike still uses his knife that I did the same thing to. He dug it out of the trash can and still has it.

Yup.
Start a booger bin.
If you're lucky, you'll make enough knives, and enough mistakes, to fill the bin.
The next thing you make will be better for it.

t

Thanks guys. I have a "booger bucket" that is getting pretty full these days. That is the great thing about knife making. It is a constant learning experience.

Back