Heat treat paint

petie

I got 2 knives coated and ready for the oven tommorrow night. Never used this stuff before but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I'm using A.O. Smith CG-11/CG-16 on an0-1 drop point hunter and an 0-6 fighter got my fingers and toes crossed.
Jon"Petie"Ross

I got 2 knives coated and ready for the oven tommorrow night. Never used this stuff before but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I'm using A.O. Smith CG-11/CG-16 on an0-1 drop point hunter and an 0-6 fighter got my fingers and toes crossed.
Jon"Petie"Ross

petie I've only used gun-kote and it worked great good luck

Petie, Now, this is not a blade coating for use? But rather a coating to prevent decarborazation? An anti-scale, if so, I too would like to hear of your results.

Paul

I'll find out tommorrow.The oven is down so I'm using a Wayne Goddard fire brick forge to heat treat with. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jon"Petie"Ross

I'll never do another knife without this paint. Open flame 0-1,0-6 and no decarb except where I screwed up when I put the paint on.oops When I quenched them the paint fell off both knives. Amazing stuff I'm sold.
Jon"Petie"Ross

Petie,
Sure sounds like the cats meow. Where did you buy the paint ? and what temp is rated for ?

Thanks for sharing - Josh

I'm curious as well. I did some searching, but haven't found a supplier. I'm going to be doing satanite washes as soon as my Ellis order comes in, but am also curious about this product.

--nathan

What I'm using is CG-11/CG-16 andits rated for 2200*. A.O. Smith is the supplier I don't have a website but I have a phone #(859)727-3500. Rose Mill Co makes a powder that is supposed to be as good or better. You heat your pieces up to 450* sprinkle on the powder then it's business as usual. After you draw your piece you can wash it off with hot water.

Jon"Petie"Ross

Is this a liquid that you actually paint on the blade? Did you go through a normalization procedure with this stuff on the blade? How much was this stuff? I have heard about some of the liquid stuff but have not talked to anyone that has used it. I was going to try a paint on coat of satanite on this next set of blades to see how that worked out. Thanks for the update.

It's a water based 2 part ceramic paint. I put it on with a brush let it dry then you heat treat as usual.

I am liking what I am hearing... I hope I am hearing it right. ;)

This thread has got me thinking and googling High Temp Paint.

I have found paints rated for 1000, 1200, and 2000 degrees that are readily available. Sounds like a trip to the auto parts store and the willingness to spend $5 to $10 is all thats needed.

What I'm wondering is this.... Is 1200 degree going to instantly fail at 1201 degrees ? OR is it rated at 1200 because it wont hold up to long term use above this temp.

If the second is the case it may very well work perfectly to 1500 for the couple minutes necessary to Heat Treat a blade.

This is just a theory but may be worth an experiment. The only trouble with just going with the 2000 degree is the curing process involed.

What do you guys think ?

-Josh

I've never heard of anybody using the automotive paint. I know the ceramic paint works and I've heard even better things about the rose mill powder. I would be really curios to know if the auto paint works I just don't want to be the guinea pig :)

Back