Heat Treat Oven

Hylan

I built a forge for my son last year out of an old water heater (picture attached). I was looking for a used kiln but couldn't find one at a reasonable price so I decided to build one. One question I have is, how frequent do the element pins need to be? Do I need one every 1" or 5"? Is there a rule of thumb on this?
I'm just about ready to start welding up the frame to hold the kiln. I will wrap it with 1/2" insulation and then sheet metal over that.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7531.jpg
    IMG_7531.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7528.jpg
    IMG_7528.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
What part of the world are you located in? As my profile shows I'm in USA, coastal Alabama.

Not sure about "element pins" - are those the pins holding the heat coil elements in the grooves shown? I checked my EvenHeat oven and they don't use pins to hold elements in place. There's a rod at each corner holding elements. The elements just lay in the groove, but the groove is under cut some, like a ball cutter was used to make the groove. I think tension on the coils do most of the holding on the sides 'n end with only the rods in each corner.

I like the looks of your oven - that's going to work nicely. The coal forge looks good, but I do like my propane. I do realize propane isn't easily available everywhere.

Thanks Ken, I'm just outside of Austin, TX. I used my CNC to cut the groove and it's a little oversized so I will put in a few pins to hold. I haven't stretched the element yet but have it ready to go. We have propane but he really wanted to go old school with the coal. Although I think he'd like propane now!

Back