hawk and sparrow hawk dimensions

curtisk

Gentlemen,
I am seeking information and advice. On the traditional style hawks what are the dimensions of the head and haft? Also, I am interested in making a few of the smaller version (sparrow hawks?) and wanted to see if any of you knew the dimensions on those as well. And finally, are most of you forging from 1”x1” stock?
As always thank you for your help and guidance. One day I hope to be able to pass on some of knowledge I have received here.
Curtis

Hi Curtisk,
I normaly use around 1 inch after squaring up easyer to slit and drift on your own than round ,
about 5 and a half long ,
i cant help on sizing the sparrow hawks like most they probably vary depending on what smith makes them. .
sorry not much help there good luck .
Chris

If you are looking for dimensions for the hafts and heads on the smaller hawks, try looking on the "Net" under "Mouse Hawks." The average handle length depended on the type of hawk. Standard combat or throwing hawks usually had a haft around 18" long. The pipe hawks ran from 18" to 22" long, and the huge Otoe War Axes, also called Missouri War Hawks, could have handles up to 24" in length.

Back