Handle material question

JRH46

Two questions: I am working on a bought blade that I am putting Water Buffalo Horn scales on. Not having an easy time any tips? Also I have a pair of Camel Bone scales & am wondering about shaping them with a belt sander, any tips ?

We'd need to know more about your process and what specifically is giving you trouble to give an effective helpful answer.

Well, I think I can safely say that buffalo horn can be very difficult to work while bone isn't. Is what you were wondering about?
Frank

I can add buffalo horn smells horrible when you sand it. Really bad! Just remember, it is compressed hair and it smells like burning hair when you sand it. It is gross. Wear a good respirator.

DeMo

I use a belt sander to rough shape wood scales. what I an wondering is can I use the sander on horn & bone ? Sorry I should have been more clear.

Yes you can. You'll want to go slow and not build heat. The horn especially will burn if you go too fast or too much pressure. Additionally, if you get it more than slightly warm to the touch, it will warp like crazy. Even after you have it installed. That's pretty much a guarantee if you get it too warm.

Keep it cool.

Its also a good Idea to let horn and bone sit in your shop for at least a few weeks or if you can to let it acclimate if you just bought it and had it shipped from another state.

Disclaimer: I sell the stuff and have thrown away far more than I have ever sold due to warp and twist.

Buffalo horn is beautiful material. It polishes up nicely and appearance wise it's hard to beat. I really like how it looks.
Having said that, it's not a great material for full tang scale handles. If it doesn't warp or twist when installed, it's likely to eventually twist with just time or especially with humidity changes.
It can used as scales on a full tang knife but you will want to use several pins to help hold it in place. And good epoxy.

Horn does work well in small pieces on say a folder (using screws to hold it in place) and it is especially good for spacers or accent on a hidden tang knife.

Think of a water buffalo and their horns. All this material comes from them and is cut, heated and pressed to "straight". It takes a set and often it will hold that set, often it won't and curls back up to it's natural state. You have to plan that eventually that horn will want to curl back to how it grew and build your knife with that in mind to hold the material where you want it.

To grind and shape, use a brand new sharp belt. If it gets warm when grinding, it's going to move -- a lot. Grind it, let it rest, grind it, let it rest. You won't be able to get it all done at once.

I love how it looks, hate how it holds up -- on a full tang knife.

I think there are about a hundred materials that work better for a full tang knife than horn. Just an opinion and it's free so take it for what it's worth.
t

Horn is Creatine, its basically compressed hair. And boy does it STINK when you work it.

I keep some around not to put on knives. But to clear the room when guests have over stayed their welcome in my shop!
PHEW! What STINKS so bad? Oh, I just remembered that I have some where else I have to be!:3:

Back