Hammer poll 'hawk

Stormcrow

This one is on its way to the customer. Its overall length is about 17.5", with a cutting edge just under 3" wide, and the inner curve of the beard sharpened. Head forged from 1" square 4140, etched in vinegar after heat treatment to darken it, handle is hickory.

001.jpg

002.jpg

I like the look of that. Did you drift the eye square or is it round? Since I'm new around here have you ever done a WIP of any of your work.

This smaller 'hawk was not punched and drifted the same as the others were. This is more of a hammer head eye, essentially a rectangle with heavily radiused corners. The others are more a long ellipse.

Nope, no WIP. It's kind of hard to do, as I am the only one in my shop. I will say that I am using a hydraulic forging press and hand held tooling at the moment, though press-held tooling is the goal, and using Brian Brazeal-style punches and techniques. If you look on Iforgeiron, you can search and find what this entails pretty well.

Thanks for the information I will check Iforgeiron out. Nice job, I like the clean look of your hawk

Back